Organized Plucking?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

chugbug

Organized Plucking?

Post by chugbug » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:21 pm

I'm back home in New Orleans after a month fishing in cooler climes. Within the next few weeks or so, I'm going to try organizing my feathers better, and I'm seeing that pre-plucking may be in my future....

But before I go down that fowl hole, I'm hoping some of you veterans of the fluff might chime in on what time and experience has taught you, in terms of pre-plucking to better organize your feathers for storage and tying... (here you can hear my small bleating cry for help...)
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Organized Plucking?

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:49 pm

I leave mine on the skin, with the skins in poly bags, hanging on peg board. When I'm going to do a tying session I grab the skin off the wall, pull the feathers I'll need, plus a couple just in case, and hang the skin back up in it's place. That method has worked for me for 50+years, so maybe I'm just used to it. Looking forward to hearing what my fellow feather buffs do.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:55 pm

Al Troth used glassine envelopes as did many other tyers in days before zip lock bags.

https://books.google.com/books?id=pwrLa ... wV6BAgMEAc

A case with glassine envelopes:

https://archive.org/details/troutflyi00 ... 1/mode/1up
DarrellP

Post by DarrellP » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:32 pm

I pluck them off the hide for the night's tying. I keep my necks in a plastic shoebox.
nfrechet

Post by nfrechet » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:59 am

i leave them on the skin, in the zip lock bag and pluck only when tying that particular pattern

i usually tie 1 of a pattern so i have no need to pluck the skin bare
Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult
tworod

Post by tworod » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:14 am

Unless you intend to tie a gross of one size of one pattern in one session like Al Troth did as a commercial tier I suggest plucking what you need as you go.
What commercial fly tiers like Al Troth would do is cut necks in sections by size. You can measure hackle size on the neck and determine with good accuracy where sizes begin and end. You can then cut the neck up in sections diagonally by size using a razor blade. A lot easier than plucking individual feathers from an entire neck. The hackle growers sell their sized packs of hackle like this and they learned this from commercial tiers.
chugbug

Post by chugbug » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:05 pm

Hm. I was hoping to find at least a few people who do or have done some significant pre-plucking themselves, but apparently it's not much of a thing any more. Or maybe just an occasional or passing thing not worth mentioning. Or maybe the pre-pluckers are too busy pre-plucking....

I do pre-pluck etc for each batch of flies, I'm just thinking to expand that a bit...

If I get there I'll post my results for anyone interested. If I don't, well, it won't be the first time I've been daydreaming about ways to be better organized.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's input.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:59 am

chugbug, Howdy;

Don't feel disappointed, I'm of the thought that it's one of those 'each to their own'
sort of decisions (pun NOT intended).
One of the books I have is one of A. K. Best's. He talks about 'plucking' but also
mentions that he did it as a 'Pro' tyer. One of those folks that mass produce their
flies by the hundreds or dozens at the least. That way he'd know he could just pullout a
drawer (small?), of a certain size/bird/color.
Personally, I don't go to those lengths, my mind doesn't find that amount of OCDness
to be a comfortable area to live in. So, ... 'each to their own', I've got other things to
to do with my time then sit and sort feathers. I'll find mine as I need them, more enjoyable
(to me), that way.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
chugbug

Post by chugbug » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:47 pm

Sounds about right Hank. My wife and I moved to a new city and a small house (no garage, workshop, office, den..., not much extra space) close to five years ago, and I'm probably just going through a second wave of getting my stuff the way I want it.

I'm no production tyer, for sure, but I do like me a system
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:07 pm

Old school storage:
IMG_0465.jpeg
IMG_0465.jpeg (288.74 KiB) Viewed 15616 times