Pearsalls Color Chart

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ronr

Re: Pearsalls Color Chart

Post by ronr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:13 pm

I'm envious of all you folks who have done this so much longer than have I... I didn't even know Pearsalls' existed until after they stopped making it and therefore I'll not have collections of these beautiful silk threads....However,... close your ears you purists... but I'm taking White Pearsall's, which I can find, and coloring them nicely with permanent markers....I know, I'm doomed to purgatory... but one has to do what one has to do...
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:16 am

ronr wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:13 pm I'm envious of all you folks who have done this so much longer than have I... I didn't even know Pearsalls' existed until after they stopped making it and therefore I'll not have collections of these beautiful silk threads....However,... close your ears you purists... but I'm taking White Pearsall's, which I can find, and coloring them nicely with permanent markers....I know, I'm doomed to purgatory... but one has to do what one has to do...
I've got to hoard permanent markers now. Which ones are kosher?

dd

(You are clever, ronr).
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:13 am

I'm another that enjoys the history behind the Pearsall's and enjoys tying with a bit of that history. I haven't stocked up over the years. It's not in my nature. Certainly the fish will not mind and I doubt they notice which shade of yellow a fly is. There are other silk options, no they are not Pearsall's, but should serve the purpose. In fact, that reminds me, I need to get my Art of the Tying the Wet Fly rebound, it's starting to come apart from all the use and it's the only one I have.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:56 am

my earlier comments are certainly with tongue firmly in cheek....I do find I really like tying with the Pearsall's Gossamer and I greatly appreciate the history and those dedicated to preserving it.I do tie for the pleasure of the process but mostly for fooling the fish.
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:58 pm

I have a number of Pearsall’s silks and I’m having difficulty in deciding which colour is which. As someone already said I don’t think the trout really cares which yellow they get, it’s all just yellow to them.
I don’t know if it would work but all car paint suppliers have a colorimeter to accurately match colours, maybe this might be a solution to any amberguity ? The other thing I have noticed is that some of my wooden spools are varnished or waxed, does this signify a age perhaps of manufacturing? My Edmunds and Lee book dispute being one of the hand made copies in great condition with all the tissue interleaves intact doesn’t seem to match my colours at all!
Now when I tie I think I will just go with what I think is the closest color. 😊
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:58 pm

I have a spool of Pearsalls marked Maltese Gold, anyone know what it is? Looks like Gossamerto me.
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:00 pm

This chart is new to me:

Comes from another forum:

https://www.flyfishing.co.uk/fly-tying- ... ative.html

dd
JohnMD1022

Post by JohnMD1022 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:27 pm

In unpacking all my tying stuff, I found two plastic tubes, one of Gossamer Silk and one of Maribou floss, all on wooden spools, both labeled.

These were purchased directly from Veniard's, as I recall.

As I was not tying between 1977 and 1992, It would not seem that they came from the 80s (Pearsalls quit using wooden spools) nor the 90s.

My best guess would be early 70s.

I'll try to get some good photos to post.
"One of those harmless misfits you see in fishing who do no appreciable damage to the world at large and in the end have only cost themselves the normal life that they never wanted anyway."
No Shortage of Good Days by John Gierach
ronr

Post by ronr » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:12 pm

fullsizeoutput_696.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_696.jpeg (54.47 KiB) Viewed 134459 times
fullsizeoutput_695.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_695.jpeg (102.07 KiB) Viewed 134459 times
At a local fly shop in Camp Sherman, Oregon on the Metolius River, a small, #18, partridge and orange soft hackle is sold. That fly has accounted for many fish for me. It has taken me a couple years to figure out what the body is tied with. It was not until letemgo, gifted me some spools of Pearsall's Gossamer that I figured it out. It is definitely Pearsall's #19. Ray sent me a spool of Gossamer hot orange, but the diameter of the Gossamer is clearly smaller than the silk used in the fly purchased from the store. Am I correct that the Gossamer is a smaller diameter thread from the standard Pearsall's?
Has anyone found a substitute for the standard hot orange? I've tied some flies with the Gossamer and its a perfect match, but for the size of the thread... I'm pretty sure the fish won't notice the difference, but the fisherman does.....the top photo is the store bought,(sorry a little out of focus), and the other is the gossamer.
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:42 pm

ronr,
Pearsall's made several different silk threads for stitching, embroidery, rod building, fly tying, etc. The two Pearsall's threads used most often for fly tying and rod wrapping are Gossamer and Naples. Pearsall's Gossamer is 126 denier, which is an industry standard measure of thread size related to the measured weight of a specific length of the thread. Pearsall's Naples silk thread is 189 denier and, thus, about 50% larger in cross-sectional area than Gossamer. Pearsall's Marabou Floss is larger still (over 1000 denier I think), but it is a flat floss thread and not a twisted like Gossamer or Naples. Marabou could be twisted to form a corded body, and I think it is still available in many colors. It's not very popular with fly tyers, and supplies haven't sold out yet.

Phil