Stonefo Hackle Pliers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Stonefo Hackle Pliers

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:33 pm

My wife bought me a couple Stonefo hackle pliers for Christmas.

I knew the blue handled model had a swivel (prevents twisting of the hackle), but didn't realize this tool also has a built in spring.

The spring helps prevent breaking off the hackle, during the wrapping process. I am really impressed with this tool. It works beautifully, and is a nice size (short enough to make wrapping easy, without banging my hand into my overhead tying light).

This was the other one she gave me.

This hackle plier grips the hackle tightly, but does not have an "give" so hackle breakage is likely to be a bigger issue. It is a little more challenging to grab the hackle tip with this tool. The one above (blue handle version), is easier for me to use. I will keep playing around with them both, to see what pros/cons of each version.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
jcwillow777

Re: Stonefo Hackle Pliers

Post by jcwillow777 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:47 am

I've been using the second pair that you show for several years now. I love them. I love how my finger fits in the hole to wrap hackle, very easy. Just need a light touch.

Let us know how you like the first pair. I have a pair that twists, but has a long handle and I hate them because of the long handle. The handle gets in the way for me. Twisting might work out nice, especially for those hackles that seem to have a mind of their own.

I also use an English style of hackle pliers that I found on Amazon. I love them for wrapping wire when it gets short. I makes helicoptering the wire a breeze with short wire.I love the brass pads on the sides of the pliers, it makes squeezing them a breeze. I have others without the pads and they are just to difficult for me to squeeze.

Greg