Hackle Names vs Colors

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Hackle Names vs Colors

Post by joaniebo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:50 am

For years, this Old Guy has been confused by the names for various colored hackles. Is the name based on what color the feather looks like over the entire feather or within the feather?

In other words, is the name based if the feather is one constant color throughout the entire feather or is the feather named based on all the colors within that feather?

As an example, what is a “Honey Dun” color? Is the entire feather a brownish / grayish color? What if the color near the inside is a gray color and the outside tips are a honey color?

Is the solid color feather a “Honey Dun” or is the two-color feather a “Honey Dun” since there’s both a honey and gray color in the feather. Or should the two-color feather be called a “Honey Dun Furnace”?

To make matters worse, I have several hen capes where the center of the feathers are various shades of gray while the tips are various brown / red colors? Do these become “Light Honey Dun Furnace; Medium Honey Dun Furnace; or Dark Honey Dun Furnace” hackles?
Mike62

Re: Hackle Names vs Colors

Post by Mike62 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:43 am

The reason we use the word 'dun' is because it can be annunciated -cleanly, crisply. Without the word 'dun' in our vocabulary we'd all be walking around trying wrap our tongues around blae.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:55 am

If it wasn’t fishing season, I’m sure they would be 50 replies to this post. Hackle, (color in particular)is one of those topics that gets thrashed, beaten to death and argued about endlessly..... all for a good cause of course.
I mean who wouldn’t want a “pink dun” or some thing called Coch-y Bondhu?

Oh — Great observation there, Mike :lol:

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
BrkTrt

Post by BrkTrt » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:33 am

Mike62 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:43 am The reason we use the word 'dun' is because it can be annunciated -cleanly, crisply. Without the word 'dun' in our vocabulary we'd all be walking around trying wrap our tongues around blae.
I like that Mike....

Alan
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:26 am

joaniebo, Howdy;

I'm in your corner, BUT, I have this ball cap that explains it concisely.
It reads; " Confusion runs through the hallways of my mind feeling
completely at home. " nuff said.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin