Visiting John Shaner (Fly Tying Historian)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Smuggler

Re: Visiting John Shaner (Fly Tying Historian)

Post by Smuggler » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:40 am

John graciously played host to me this year in the early summer, albeit short, spending time with John is always rewarding. I can attest to this collection being absolutely astonishing. I just sat in bewilderment as John was laying out text after text, going into great detail about this and that with each text.

What's even more amazing is his collection of hackle and other quality feathers. Honestly, I've never seen anything like it. After examining neck after neck, it gave me more of an appreciation towards quality hackle and why it is so important to use them.

Upon returning home, I quickly bought a couple of books John recommended to me and now I make inquiries where ever I can about good quality capes.

My friends know how to spend my money :D .
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:23 am

Greenwell wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 am Regarding the Chadwick's 477 wool color, I just checked my card of 477 against the posted photo and it (the photo) is really pretty close. It may show just a touch more red but I might attribute that to the magnification.
I've seen quite a few subs and the closest came from Veniard, which I purchased from Great Feathers. It's thicker than the original and a tad lighter in color but otherwise is darn close.
I haven't seen Chris' 477 sub so can't speak to how similar it may be. I am pretty sure though that most of the available subs will work just fine!
Years ago, a friend in Germany sent me this article about the Killer Bug Yarn available from Ellis Slater (who has since passed away). He also sent me some of the Ellis Slater yarn and what was then available from Veniard. I might still have some stashed away but have since switched to the Shetland Spindrift #290 Oyster Wool as it seems to show the red wire underbody more than the other wool yarns that I've tried.
Attachments
Info on Killer Bug Yarn from Ellis Slater.jpg
Info on Killer Bug Yarn from Ellis Slater.jpg (75.76 KiB) Viewed 25994 times
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:38 am

Oliver Edwards did a video quite awhile back where he ties Sawyer's Killer Bug exactly as Sawyer specified in Sawyer's book "Nymph & the Trout". It's my understanding that Lee Wulff actually named it.

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:45 pm

thanks Bob
IMHO, Oliver & team produced some of the very best, most insightful fly fishing videos ever. I have watched all of them numerous times..

Also: the silent black and white clip of Frank Sawyer tying his PT nymph is priceless.........one recent Sunday afternoon, I sat at the vise and watched it countless times whilst trying to exact a copy of his timeless nymph.

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:44 pm

I see William Anderson in the pics from10 years past. Haven’t seen him on here in quite a while. I hope he’s still out there kicking around. He’s had some interesting posts and comments over the years…