Stewart’ Flies - an interpretation

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Aussieflyman

Stewart’ Flies - an interpretation

Post by Aussieflyman » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:12 am

I love old books on the North Country tradition and none more than when you get snippets of information from a previous owner.
Take this for an example, someone has taken the time to describe Stewart’s patterns. We are all familiar with the three ‘spiders’, developed by Baillie and made famous by Stewart, but what of his other patterns.
In fact, Stewart fished his three winged flies more often that his ‘spiders’, leaving them for when the water was low and clear.
I have often tried to determine the thing from his book.
This is from the rear of my Jackson’s.
So,
#1 - Dotterel or starling under wing hackle, yellow silk;
#2 - Shiny starling neck, brown silk body;
#3 - A yellow silk body and a Landrail’s red brown shoulder hackle (never seen that before, I thought it was a hen feather).
#4 - A corn bunting or Chaffinch’s wing for wings, a harelug and yellow silk body;
#5 - A woodcock outside feather from the shoulder for wing, the body of light yellow silk and a single turn of Landrail for legs: for dark water use scarlet thread;
#6 - The wings of the outside shoulder feather, or inside barred & mottled feather from the woodcock’s wing. The legs a single turn of black hen or cock starling’s hackle, dark silk for body.
(Mmmm, I am still trying to find out the dark silk shade, might it be 6b?)
Philip