Orange Otter

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Orange Otter

Post by joaniebo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:06 am

My memory isn't perfect, so I might have posted something in the past about the book called "ORANGE OTTER" written by Christopher Knowles. The book details the life, fishing and fly tying of Rev. Edward Powell of Munslow, Shropshire. I believe that the Reverend caught so many trout that he was sometimes banned from certain waters and oftentimes "fed his flock" with his catches.

It's an interesting biography and a "portrait of Welsh Border fishing and its main characters," including the dresssings of a professional trout fisherman named Dai Lewis. After reading Orange Otter and tying several of the Reverend's dressings, I also purchased Mac Morgan's book on Welsh trout and salmon flies.

Interesting books from the past and how soft hackle hen feathers were used to dress both wet and dry flies.

Bob
Variant

Re: Orange Otter

Post by Variant » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:44 am

I also enjoyed reading both books.
Morgan’s book is full of great patterns

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:33 pm

joaniebo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:06 am My memory isn't perfect, so I might have posted something in the past about the book called "ORANGE OTTER" written by Christopher Knowles. The book details the life, fishing and fly tying of Rev. Edward Powell of Munslow, Shropshire. I believe that the Reverend caught so many trout that he was sometimes banned from certain waters and oftentimes "fed his flock" with his catches.

It's an interesting biography and a "portrait of Welsh Border fishing and its main characters," including the dresssings of a professional trout fisherman named Dai Lewis. After reading Orange Otter and tying several of the Reverend's dressings, I also purchased Mac Morgan's book on Welsh trout and salmon flies.

Interesting books from the past and how soft hackle hen feathers were used to dress both wet and dry flies.

Bob
Can you remember some of the reverands dressings?
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:49 pm

DUBBN wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:33 pm
joaniebo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:06 am My memory isn't perfect, so I might have posted something in the past about the book called "ORANGE OTTER" written by Christopher Knowles. The book details the life, fishing and fly tying of Rev. Edward Powell of Munslow, Shropshire. I believe that the Reverend caught so many trout that he was sometimes banned from certain waters and oftentimes "fed his flock" with his catches.

Bob
Can you remember some of the reverands dressings?
Attachments
Rev Edward Powell Article.pdf
(1004.94 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:15 am

I managed to find Moc Morgan's book at a reasonable price, even with shipping from the UK. Orange Otter is a bit out of my price range at the present. Maybe next month.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
novabass

Post by novabass » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:23 pm

-deleted
FrankenFly <--my website
Where fly tying comes to life!