Orvis Flymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Orvis Flymphs

Post by Old Hat » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Cool BB. Love seeing these.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:39 pm

Good call John. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:36 pm

Great thread, and posts by Mr. bearbutt- I should’ve known you would’ve come up with something like that 8-)

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:02 pm

These sets are very rare, besides the one I have, this is the only other intact set of Orvis Flymphs I've seen. What makes these especially interesting is how close to the original Pete Hidy Flymphs these are and the Orvis people went to some pains to maintain authenticity and accuracy of the dressings. The English made hooks they are dressed on are absolutely correct and some of the flies are on the Veniard 'Long May' hooks that Pete often used.

Is there a little booklet under the card the flies are mounted on? If not, let me know and I'll scan the one I have so you can complete your set.
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:17 am

Greenwell wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:02 pm
Is there a little booklet under the card the flies are mounted on? If not, let me know and I'll scan the one I have so you can complete your set.
Alas, no, so if you could scan yours, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks,
bb
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:44 am

I really would like a nice photo/s of the Flymph Collection (profile of flies) and the page from the Catalog for my website if either of you would be willing to send me a couple and grant permission to use them on the website. The flies all together as they are or individually would be great! Would either of you be willing to work with me on this?
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:25 pm

Old Hat wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:44 am I really would like a nice photo/s of the Flymph Collection (profile of flies) and the page from the Catalog for my website if either of you would be willing to send me a couple and grant permission to use them on the website. The flies all together as they are or individually would be great! Would either of you be willing to work with me on this?

Happy to help, but my photos are crap, as everyone knows--. My excuse is that I'm an artist, and everyone knows artists can't take good photographs of anything,

But maybe I can send the box of flies to you and see what you can do with it? Unless John has some good images that will do the job? BTW--a big thanks to John for sending a scan of the Hidy brochure that originally accompanied the fly selection. That is even rarer than the flies!

Cheers,
bb
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:30 am

Any chance someone can post the scanned booklet here for
all to enjoy?

Thanks- Ken
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:01 am

Ken, I believe the booklet is still in copyright, so I don't think it can be posted; it can be shared individually under fair use doctrine. I'll let John take the lead in that, as he made the scans.

bb
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:29 pm

BB—that is a great find! Here is the booklet with my dad's commentary. If you zoom in it should be readable.
OrvisFlymphCard206 2.jpg
OrvisFlymphCard206 2.jpg (505.71 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
OrvisFlymphCard207.jpg
OrvisFlymphCard207.jpg (326.46 KiB) Viewed 4918 times