"Trout and Flies - Getting Closer" by Peter Hayes and Don Stazicker

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

"Trout and Flies - Getting Closer" by Peter Hayes and Don Stazicker

Post by letumgo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:43 am

I recently purchased a new Kindle book called "Trout and Flies - Getting Closer" by Peter Hayes and Don Stazicker. The authors set out to study in detail what happens when a fish takes an insect or artificial fly. The book is quit interesting, and has a ton of photos taken streamside, showing how fish respond.

I wish the book was availible in print, but for now the digital copy is quite interesting.

Has anyone else read this book? What did you think of the observations?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Re: "Trout and Flies - Getting Closer" by Peter Hayes and Don Stazicker

Post by Old Hat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:15 pm

I haven’t read this one, but I really like Hayes’ Fly Fishing Outside the Box Emerging Heresies. Will have to check it out.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
NedZeppelin

Post by NedZeppelin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:01 am

Another 2 thumbs up for Hayes “Outside the Box” with its emphasis on the empirical observations as opposed to theoretical concepts as to what trout see, what triggers them, what obstacles are there to catching them, quite thought provoking. I think flymph tiers will recognize quite a bit of what Hayes says as explaining why flymphs are successful ties: e.g., furry and fuzzy is better for Hayes. On the spectrum of the old writers, Hayes is all about Skues and beyond, Halford a wrong turn.
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:36 am

I just finished reading my Kindle version of the book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Very interesting information. The accompanying videos are a major plus and done extremely well. There were a couple of videos that didn't work, only the audio. Interesting ways of looking at tied flies that I had never thought of before, ie. dry flies as emergers because a portion of the fly sits below the surface of the water. His pop up emerger is a very interesting concept also. I have to agree that the photos are excellent.

My only complaint is that the font was extremely small and hard for these old eyes. I read it on a tablet, not a laptop. Probably larger on a laptop.
Greg