Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mike62

Re: Rods for fishing flymphs and soft hackles

Post by Mike62 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:24 pm

Theroe wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:40 am “Popeil's Pocket Fisherman”

W
O
W

I knew there was a reason we had the same birthday!
Lol, were those things convertible, or right side reel only?
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:16 am

I believe mine was right side only. Not sure where what happened to it. Ain’t seen one in years.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
ronr

Post by ronr » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:25 pm

Do any of you guys who fish larger rivers ever fish a single hand rod with a Scandi line swinging soft hackles....If so, what rods and which lines? I had a friend give me an intro to Scandi yesterday but it was on a 6wt rod that I would seldom fish with on the rivers I fish most. Fun to cast, but hard to justify at the expense of the line for a set up that I would fish maybe once or twice a year...
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:16 pm

ronr wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:25 pm Do any of you guys who fish larger rivers ever fish a single hand rod with a Scandi line swinging soft hackles....If so, what rods and which lines? I had a friend give me an intro to Scandi yesterday but it was on a 6wt rod that I would seldom fish with on the rivers I fish most. Fun to cast, but hard to justify at the expense of the line for a set up that I would fish maybe once or twice a year...
I don't use a scandi on my singles, but I do use a running line and Skagit heads with tips. I have a 6'6" four weight that I can cast about 40 feet with about 2 feet of backcast room, I also fish a 6'6" 4 weight, a nine foot 4 weight and a 9 foot 5 weight. I use the short, light, rods fishing brush choked streams with overhanging branches. Being able to sidearm a 30 to 40 foot cast has put me on fish more than once.

My scandi lines are reserved for my trout speys when I want a lighter presentation for surface flies and skaters. When I fish a team of wets, streamers, or spey style flies it's almost always on a skagit system.

If you get a scandi or skagit line, I think you'll find yourself using it more often than once or twice a year.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:48 pm

ron... thanks for your detailed reply. My interest in Scandi and Skagit lines is a little misguided actually. I rarely, almost never, fish big waters with big flies on sink tips. But, I got interested in Skagit because I use single hand spey casting all the time on a variety of rods for swinging soft hackles or nymphs. In an effort to get longer casts when I needed them in tight situations, I started playing with OPST Commando heads. I have a 150gr Commando Smooth that I've put on everything I have down to 8.5' 3wt rods. Clearly, a little overkill, but I have fished it and it works. My friend the Line Speed Jedi.. has been teaching me to weld loops on fly lines and I've been trying to make a short head of about 100gr from old fly lines. Again, no real good reason except it gives me something to play with.
The other day, Jedi loaned me an integrated Scandi line that was weighted for my 9' 6wt rod. It cast great and would be fine for when I want to fish the bigger water down on the Deschutes.
But, still I want to play in smaller water with smaller fish where the 6wt is just too much rod to have fun on the smaller fish. Again, commercial line mfg's dont make lines for these lighter rods really so I improvise. Just looking for info like you provided.
I agree with you that I can use the OPST heads and still play, but I'm thinking the Scandi lines might be better for the smaller flies and surface fishing that I prefer....
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:25 pm

ronr wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:48 pm I agree with you that I can use the OPST heads and still play, but I'm thinking the Scandi lines might be better for the smaller flies and surface fishing that I prefer....
ron, When I'm fishing with any of my rods, either a single hander or a double, my big flies are usually sizes 10 to 16 on a floating commando head and floating tip with a standard leader and tippet. I'm catching Brookies that are pretty much cookie cutter at 12 inches. If your after a lighter presentation, like for dry flies, then a scandi could be a great option.

I've been fishing heads and tips with a mono running line for years. I just tried a Commando Smooth on my 12'6" 3 weight and I'm sold. I really like it.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
jddietrich

Post by jddietrich » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:05 pm

I've fished SA Scandi Lites of 150 and 180 grains on 3 and 4 weights on small streams with good results. I'm looking forward to hitting the Lehigh in PA, which is a pretty good sized river (for this area), with a 10'4" single handed 6 wt. and an SA mastery expert distance 6 wt. line. I think it should do well as a single handed spey line. I hope.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:16 pm

Every rod I have, I fish with soft hackles. dries, nymphs, etc. No specific rod for any certain type of fly.

Bob