Different Techniques

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Different Techniques

Post by DUBBN » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:44 pm

I watched this video a few weeks back. I had a chance to try it a few evenings ago.

April is not really Soft Hackle season in Western Colorado. I still managed a few, including a fat 16 inch Bow.

It never hurts me to learn a new (to me ) technique.

Rays swimming nymphs were included in my swap package. All the trout were taken on those.

Here is the technique I used. It is probably old news, to all, but me. Still, give it a look.

ronr

Re: Different Techniques

Post by ronr » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:16 pm

Wayne... I'm with you... just down and across doesn't always get it... multiple current seams... boulders... etc water depth...throwing in mends to extend the swing, slow down the swing, etc to match the conditions are all in play... There are so many different techniques for swinging its hard to keep track. Every author has to throw in something a little different to convince us how good they are....

Its a little early for soft hackles here too... but I'm chomping at the bit..
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:28 pm

Wayne,

Thank you for sharing the video. I found it much easier to understand the diagrams, than the description. Looks like a nice way to pick up trout along the bank, or in some tight seams.

Glad those nymphs worked for you. :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redietz

Post by redietz » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:43 am

DUBBN wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:44 pm Here is the technique I used. It is probably old news, to all, but me. Still, give it a look.
People have been fishing wets for thousands of years. It's hard to imagine there are any techniques that haven't been used before.

I completely agree that it's often best to minimize cross current movement when fishing downstream. That goes for streamers, too when fishing an undercut bank, for example.
Bob
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:12 am

Bob, it is another arrow in my quiver, and I am happy to have it there.

A HARD cross current movement has accounted for most of my 100 fish days. Most if not all of those fish, on occasion were 12 inch and smaller Browns. As Stalin once said "quantity has a quailty all its own". Not being a Communist I like big fish too.

It brings a smile to my face to use a different method. Like streamers, perhaps the only wrong way to use a Soft Hackle is to leave it in the fly box. Or something like that.
thedude31

Post by thedude31 » Mon May 02, 2022 5:44 pm

I was lucky to fish the Green River for four days last week … we were nymphing a standard nymph rig (2 up 1 back attack) and I managed to catch two nice browns on the swing just after my buddy in the back of the boat hooked up. Both times he would hook a fish I would let my line keep running with the current and start letting line out and sure enough as the line started to swing I nabbed the fish. I had heard of “swinging soft hackles” before so I immediately examined the similarities of swinging nymphs on an indicator and soft hackles with no weight or indicator. That has what led me here through some searches on the interwebs. Can’t wait to try swinging soft hackles when I get the next chance. I know Hemingway only fished wets and that trout eat the majority of their food subsurface. I think swinging soft hackles is a lot more exciting than nymphing and productive than dry fly fishing so now I need to find out by myself!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon May 02, 2022 5:57 pm

Welcome aboard. You’ve found a group of kindred spirits. Take time to look through the various sections of the forum. Lots of info, patterns and tutorials. Hopefully you find something that interests you. Nice to meet you (virtually).
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tworod

Post by tworod » Mon May 02, 2022 9:41 pm

I'm a fan of the three techniques I was taught eons ago; upstream, downstream and across.
redietz

Post by redietz » Tue May 03, 2022 12:05 am

tworod wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:41 pm I'm a fan of the three techniques I was taught eons ago; upstream, downstream and across.
:lol: Me too.
Bob
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue May 03, 2022 1:24 am

tworod wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:41 pm I'm a fan of the three techniques I was taught eons ago; upstream, downstream and across.
I wonder if adding split shot or beads would be considered
different techniques. For me its different.