Rods for fishing flymphs and soft hackles

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

billems

Re: Rods for fishing flymphs and soft hackles

Post by billems » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:45 pm

I own two 8 foot Jenkins bamboo rods. The cast perfectly for me and have a magnificient casting feel. My sole graphite is a surprisingly nice Redington Classic Trout, 9' 5wt. For around $150, this rod is equal in performance to the old Sage LL from the early 90s. I also own a 7 ft Echo fiberglass.
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:47 am

Billems interesting... I have had three of the Redington rods you mention. Gave a 4 and 5 wt to sons-in-law and kept the 8'6" 3wt. Cant find a single thing wrong with these rods.
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:52 am

PLV our locations are quite different, but clearly our fishing experiences and waters must be similar. I find I'm agreeing with what you have to say about the rods, lines, and waters you fish. Especially, the versatility of the longer so called nymphing rods... What attracted me to the Cortland 10'6" 3wt I fish is watching a friend fish dry flies with that rod. I too have managed some decent sized rainbows on the Madison and Henry's Fork with that 3wt and find that the soft tip provides some needed shock protection and the strong butt provides the backbone. Rods to me are like golf clubs. Lots of choices, and every claims to have the latest and greatest. As long as you like it, what else matters.
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:27 pm

billems wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:45 pm I own two 8 foot Jenkins bamboo rods. The cast perfectly for me and have a magnificient casting feel. My sole graphite is a surprisingly nice Redington Classic Trout, 9' 5wt. For around $150, this rod is equal in performance to the old Sage LL from the early 90s. I also own a 7 ft Echo fiberglass.
I agree with you that Jenkins rods are first class in every respect.

Doug J.
Bizscotty

Post by Bizscotty » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:11 pm

I prefer longer rods; 10' plus; last several have been 6/7 or 8wts. Latest being an Echo Stillwater 10'6" 6wt. slightly slower than fast action. Plenty of line pick up for mending longer casts. Usually use steelhead taper lines but I'm trying the Airflo Stillwater line with my new rod. My two-hand rods; an Echo 4120 and a Meiser S2H 3-5-126-4; paired with an old CND GPS 5/6. Have some other 2 hand rods that I still use and love but that's what I've been stuck on the last couple years. I only swing soft hackles; so my rods and lines are set up for long casts to cover the whole river.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:49 pm

Bizscotty wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:11 pm I prefer longer rods; 10' plus; last several have been 6/7 or 8wts. Latest being an Echo Stillwater 10'6" 6wt. slightly slower than fast action. Plenty of line pick up for mending longer casts. Usually use steelhead taper lines but I'm trying the Airflo Stillwater line with my new rod. My two-hand rods; an Echo 4120 and a Meiser S2H 3-5-126-4; paired with an old CND GPS 5/6. Have some other 2 hand rods that I still use and love but that's what I've been stuck on the last couple years. I only swing soft hackles; so my rods and lines are set up for long casts to cover the whole river.
Heck yes! I love hearing how others do it.

What rivers are you fishing for those long casts ?
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:49 pm

I spent a few years fishing flymphs with 10' 3 wts and have spent 24 years using everything from 7'6" glass rods to tenkara rods, but my favorite over the past decade has been a medium action 9' 4 wt. Not only is it a perfect all around rod, suitable to cast dries when the time is right, but it's the softer action and mid rod feel that creates the perfect soft loop to present the wet flies. Whatever the rod length, for me the important thing is the moderate action. It helps that I'm using a Wolff Triangle Taper line that helps me get that presentation.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Bizscotty

Post by Bizscotty » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:34 pm

DUBBN wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:49 pm
Bizscotty wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:11 pm I prefer longer rods; 10' plus; last several have been 6/7 or 8wts. Latest being an Echo Stillwater 10'6" 6wt. slightly slower than fast action. Plenty of line pick up for mending longer casts. Usually use steelhead taper lines but I'm trying the Airflo Stillwater line with my new rod. My two-hand rods; an Echo 4120 and a Meiser S2H 3-5-126-4; paired with an old CND GPS 5/6. Have some other 2 hand rods that I still use and love but that's what I've been stuck on the last couple years. I only swing soft hackles; so my rods and lines are set up for long casts to cover the whole river.
Heck yes! I love hearing how others do it.

What rivers are you fishing for those long casts ?
The Madison River in YNP is my most fished; some local Lake Ontario tribs; less than occassionally
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:21 am

I received an Orvis Recon, 2 weight, 10 foot for Christmas. I am very anxiois to try it swinging wets. For nymphing, it's lights out. I am sure with its sensitive tip it will make a great wet fly rod.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:40 am

“Popeil's Pocket Fisherman”

W
O
W

I knew there was a reason we had the same birthday!
Soft and wet - the only way....