Davy Wotton : Wet Fly Ways :

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

plvankampen

Davy Wotton : Wet Fly Ways :

Post by plvankampen » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:55 pm

I sat down and watched Wet Fly Ways again last night. If you aren't familiar with this video it was put out in 2005 and has Gene Hering following Davy along the White discussing traditional wet fly fishing tactics and rigging.
When I watched this video for the first time, a couple years ago, I was floored. I thought, 'this is going to change my approach to fishing' - and, it has.
To my surprise there seems to be a lot of confusion and controversy over his style of fishing wets. What's ironic to me is that it is all very traditional. I see comments about how traditionally wets should be fished down and across. Really?! Nothing could be further from the truth - at least from how I understand it. Another thing that bothers people is his skittering a second dropper when working the dangle. This one took a leap of faith for me too, but wouldn't you know, the Brown trout go frickin' crazy over this. It's really baffling. Must be what Davy said, they see a food source that looks like it's getting away. Of course, even Davy wouldn't commit to an answer on this one. :)
Anyway, I could literally talk all day about Davy Wotton's style, but I'm curious what reactions others on this forum may have had to the video. Do you agree with approach to leader building? Do you use a long rod fishing wets? What about the action he imparts with his left hand? Angle of hang?
Mfs686

Re: Davy Wotton : Wet Fly Ways :

Post by Mfs686 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:35 pm

Catching fish while stripping in the fly, after the dangle, has baffled me as well. I get it when I'm steelhead or salmon fishing streamers, but stripping in a nymph and it gets slammed???

Not complaining though. :D
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:06 pm

quote=plvankampen post_id=117374 time=1692651354 user_id=2889]
I see comments about how traditionally wets should be fished down and across. Really?! Nothing could be further from the truth - at least from how I understand it.
[/quote]

I would venture a guess that most American anglers associate Softhackles and Flymphs with Sylvester Nemes and his love of the down and across swing. They probably think it is traditional.

I am not a Wotton fan, but I do like fishing wets as nymphs, and I also like an upstream cast under the surface. Heck I have been known to put Gink on them and fish them as dries.

The versatility of the Wet/Softhackle/Flymph are the qualities that make me love them
plvankampen

Post by plvankampen » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:53 am

DUBBN wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:06 pm I am not a Wotton fan,...
Any reason in particular?
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:08 am

plvankampen wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:53 am
DUBBN wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:06 pm I am not a Wotton fan,...
Any reason in particular?
None worth discussing.
😉
Updtate

Post by Updtate » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:47 pm

If you know Davy and spent some time with him you would realize just how knowledgeable he truly is. He's also a banjo player!!!
Tom
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:24 pm

Updtate wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:47 pm If you know Davy and spent some time with him you would realize just how knowledgeable he truly is. He's also a banjo player!!!
Tom
I take it back. Banjo players are exempt from scrutiny. :lol:

plvankampen

Post by plvankampen » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:34 am

Updtate wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:47 pm If you know Davy and spent some time with him you would realize just how knowledgeable he truly is. He's also a banjo player!!!
Tom
Have you had a chance to fish with Davy? I'm not much for paying a guide, but I'd lay out the cash to learn from that guy. I guess I just need to make it to Arkansas first.

Have you seen Wet Fly Ways? I find I learn something every time I watch it.
Updtate

Post by Updtate » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:17 am

Yes and it would be very worth your while to do so!
Tom
RickA

Post by RickA » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:58 am

I just added two books to my library and I have more than a few fishing/tying videos, some of which are...duds.
Out of curiosity, I watched the trailer and some short clips of Wet Fly Ways and decided to order it.
Looking forward to it and thanks for the heads up.