Davy Wotton : Wet Fly Ways :

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mike62

Re: Davy Wotton : Wet Fly Ways :

Post by Mike62 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:31 pm

DUBBN wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:06 pm quote=plvankampen post_id=117374 time=1692651354 user_id=2889]
I see comments about how traditionally wets should be fished down and across. Really?! Nothing could be further from the truth - at least from how I understand it.

I would venture a guess that most American anglers associate Softhackles and Flymphs with Sylvester Nemes and his love of the down and across swing. They probably think it is traditional.

I am not a Wotton fan, but I do like fishing wets as nymphs, and I also like an upstream cast under the surface. Heck I have been known to put Gink on them and fish them as dries.

The versatility of the Wet/Softhackle/Flymph are the qualities that make me love them
[/quote]

Pretty sure there was absolutely nothing about my fishing upbringing that rang 'traditional'. My first flies were 'traditional' wets. My grandfather used to tell me that just a couple of patterns was all I needed. Fish them on top, under the surface, or down on the bottom; the fish will tell you where they want them. By the time I started to understand what he meant, he was gone and I was left to figure it out on my own. I found Nemes back in HS and it was a revelation to me. The upstream cast became my go-to. The swing, while it can be productive, is repetitive and a little boring. I still do it, of course.

You said it, the versatility of the wet/flymph is what makes it so appealing. I know who Davy Wotton is, but I've never done any due diligence on the man.
plvankampen

Post by plvankampen » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:25 am

RickA wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:58 am I just added two books to my library and I have more than a few fishing/tying videos, some of which are...duds.
Out of curiosity, I watched the trailer and some short clips of Wet Fly Ways and decided to order it.
Looking forward to it and thanks for the heads up.
You won't be disappointed. Like I (had) said previously, I learn something new every time I watch the video.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:30 am

I haven't seen D.W's video so I can't comment on it.
My grandfather taught me to always fish upstream with wets and dries. He believed it to be better in line control and better hook ups. I have tried across and down, swinging winged wets and losing many fish that way.

But that may not be the case for everyone.

I have to say that I do prefer casting upstream like Oliver Edwards does in his River and Wet Fly video.

I would like to see Dave W. video myself. I think I tried looking for it one time and found it, but can't remember why I didn't buy it.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:34 pm

I haven't seen D.W.'s video either, but I did find his website and ordered a copy. It arrived yesterday. I'll probably watch it tomorrow to see what he has to say. I have always fished wet flies upstream, no matter what anyone says in print or video. I usually cast upstream and let the flies hunt all the way through the run until they are hanging below me on the dangle. I have caught a surprising number of fish on the dangle, in fairly shallow water.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
ronr

Post by ronr » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:30 am

I'm pretty sure that most of us who fish soft hackles have done just about every technique mentioned at one time or other. Each waterway has segments that suggest we modify our approach to fit. I enjoy the ole down and across because it works in a lot of the water I fish. However, often find that I will go back and fish up in a stretch I just swung through and catch fish in pockets the swing can't reach. I also like to fish soft hackle like nymphs on a dry dropper, or as part of a double nymph rig, or behind a streamer, or egads I'll even fish them like a dry. Thanks to Roadkill for introducing me to the world of flymphs and soft hackles those years ago in Albany. Davy Wotton's method and style of flies haven't really paid off for me, but I don't fish the water he masters. I sure wouldn't want to get in a fishing against the man.
plvankampen

Post by plvankampen » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:40 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:34 pm I usually cast upstream and let the flies hunt all the way through the run until they are hanging below me on the dangle. I have caught a surprising number of fish on the dangle, in fairly shallow water.
This is exactly the method Davy advocates for in the upstream section of the video.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:12 am

plvankampen wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:40 am
Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:34 pm I usually cast upstream and let the flies hunt all the way through the run until they are hanging below me on the dangle. I have caught a surprising number of fish on the dangle, in fairly shallow water.
This is exactly the method Davy advocates for in the upstream section of the video.
I learned that method from Donald Nicholsen from Edinburgh over thirty years ago, back when he first started me on the slippery slope of wet fly fishing. Sure miss Donald.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
plvankampen

Post by plvankampen » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:58 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:12 am I learned that method from Donald Nicholsen from Edinburgh over thirty years ago
Yeah, I'm definitely behind you a couple decades fishing wets. Heck, I've only been fly fishing about 10 years - at least, more than a few times a year. :)

In my opinion, European techniques for fly fishing seem to revolve around nymphing. And, don't get me wrong, I've spent many years fishing a 20-30' leader, but unfortunately wet fly techniques don't get as much attention in the States. This is probably due to the fact that nymphing is generally more productive in a competitive situation and so gains greater attention.

Also, 'euro nymphing' seems more different than fishing wets. People think they know how to fish wets so maybe they don't pick up on how diverse these flies are and/or appreciate how many scenarios can be solved fishing wets. Or, maybe it just doesn't seem as exciting. Personally, I find fishing wets to be both productive and exciting.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:24 am

plvankampen wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:58 am
Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:12 am I learned that method from Donald Nicholsen from Edinburgh over thirty years ago
Yeah, I'm definitely behind you a couple decades fishing wets.
Are you trying to say that REE is old?
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:59 am

Just got my copy in the mail yesterday. Haven't had time to watch it yet. I have another 1 of his videos. Looking forward to watching it! 😁
Greg