Podcast

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

plvankampen

Re: Podcast

Post by plvankampen » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:01 pm

chugbug wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:01 pm so it's right up my alley, tone, style, pace, of a really nice day on the water.
Yes, it was just these things that first attracted me to fishing wets.
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:36 pm

Just to keep the chatter flowing... I agree with DUBBN on one thing.. being able to see the line where it enters the water and recognizing what is a strike is something that I first learned bass fishing with a plastic worm. My father-in-law could drown a purple worm over structure for hours and caught more fish than anyone I ever fished with. Took him a while to "teach" this city boy how that worked, but I did finally learn to see a strike before I felt it. A good black bass can split out a worm almost as fast as a trout can reject a fly. I think drop shot worm fishing was even more productive bass fishing than the normal method. Consequently, using a drop shot, especially in water with jagged, uneven rocky bottoms, enhances the tight line nymphing game, no matter what line you use.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:40 am

I was able to float the Gunnison River on Thursday. Below the confluence with the North Fork of the Gunnison. Indicator nymphing, Mono-Rig nymphing, Mono-Rig with soft hackles, conventional rig with soft hackles, all produced a lot of fish.

The caddis action stated at 9:00 AM. I had been nymphing for a couple hours and picked a few fish. I started with an indicator then switched to a Mono-Rig. Both worked well. At 9:00 I switched my Mono-Rig to a soft hackle setup. My 30 yards of 20lb Mono ending in a micro loop where I change my tippet. For tippet I am using Seaguar Fluoro, 6lb, .009 diameter. The point fly is 6 feet from the micro loop. 24 inches above that is my next SH, 24inches above that is the top fly.

The top fly was a Partridge and Yellow. The middle fly a Prairie Chicken and Hare, tied with Florescent Orange thread. The point fly was a Tan soft hackle. The Tan SH took half the fish in this set up. I dedicated this rig to upstream, and upstream and across only. I tried to target active feeding fish, and as long as I did my part to keep the drift drag free the fish rewarded me with eager takes. My brother in-law was swinging wets down and across the entire day and was having good results as well. I could manage some 30 foot down and across casts with this set up, but it was a chore and even impossible for me when the wind blew, so I stuck with upstream presentations.

I got a little jealous watching my brother in-law casting down and across and getting that violent tug, so around 3:00 PM I set my 11-foot rod aside and grabbed my 10-footer which was rigged with a 4wt WF line. Connected to that is my 9-foot 3X tapered leader. The only change in the fly pattern set up is, I made a Purple and Dun my point fly. Then proceeded to cast down and across. Sometimes to the middle of the river, sometimes to the bank. It all depended on where I positioned my raft. I immediately got in to fish and it continued that way until 6:00PM when we finished the float. A big smile crossed my face when I hooked my last fish. A gorgeous 17 or 18, thick Bow! It took the Purple and Dun.

The next day I floated the Roaring Fork River. I approached it the same way as the day before as far as nymphing, mono-rig soft hackles and down and across. I caught fewer but bigger fish, and more Rainbows. The Hares Ear and Partridge along with the Muskrat were the top producers, with a Partridge and Purple taking the two largest fish.

Yesterday after noon I wet waded the Gunnison River above the North Fork from 3:00PM until 6:45 PM. Straight down and across. The Yellow and Partridge and Muskrat took center stage until the sun set behind the rim of the canyon. I added a bead head (blasphemy) Purple and Black. At that moment I knew Davey Wotten, Oliver Edwards, and Jesus Christ hated me. I pounded trout with it.

All three days the fish were eager to strike if given a proper presentation. Sloppy and or inaccurate casts were rarely rewarded with fish. The caddis action was phenomenal as I thought it would be. I have a 50/50 chance it will be over when I return home in a few weeks from work. If the madness is over when I get back, I will have a wicked grin on my face for another year remembering it. In my mind, for three straight days I was a flyfishing GOD! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I rambled. Back to work for me starting tomorrow night.
Last edited by DUBBN on Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chugbug

Post by chugbug » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:56 am

Sensational
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:01 pm

Wayne,

You enjoyed some great days on the water. I can't comment about Davey or Oliver's feelings toward you; however, I'm 100% certain Jesus will never hate you!

Tight Lines- Ken
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:17 am

DUBBN, Howdy;

Enjoyed your ramblin', could use another dose of it when you feel up to it.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:30 am

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:01 pm Wayne,

You enjoyed some great days on the water. I can't comment about Davey or Oliver's feelings toward you; however, I'm 100% certain Jesus will never hate you!

Tight Lines- Ken
It's kind of his job not to hate me. For very long that is.

:lol:
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:33 pm

Lol, you be you, Wayne! In your defense, I don't think Oliver would have had any issues with how you're catching fish. Davy..., not so sure.

Man, I envy your time on the water, brother.