A few of Doug's Soft Hackle Gem's

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

RickA

Re: A few of Doug's Soft Hackle Gem's

Post by RickA » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:24 am

Doug, That cream Flymph is a dead ringer for an invaria, commonly known as a light Cahill!
A classic old Catskill pattern from around 1880 that was tied dry but killed even when wet.
I like your simple dressing too, no tag, no rib, no bells.
My kinda style.
Well done!
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:18 pm

Hello Everyone!
I'm trusting all of you had a great day ringing in the New Year! As usual, I fell asleep about 10 pm and missed all the doings in Times Square! Dana, were you out amongst the party peoples of the Big Apple?
I wanted to thank everyone who gave such good feed back on the above soft-hackles! It's a real boost to my spirits and it makes me wanna get back to the vice and start up again!
Mike, the orange caddis in the above pics is actually a short bodied Tups that I created a couple years ago! I know the dubbing looks orange but it's Tups for sure! I had some of these hooks (I don't know where I picked them up? Sorry!) that just seemed to scream, "Tie a Tups here dummy!" So, I did. Did you notice there is no tail on this version! The hooking qualities on this beauty are incredible!
Ray and Dana, the hook that the Cream Flymph is tied on is a Veniard's "Up Eye - Long" in Size 13! They are destined to go back to a fellow flymphing friend soon dressed with the Cream Flymph overcoat and some other popular and familiar patterns on these amazing hooks! When I get them tied, I want to share them with you guys (Ray - hint,hint!). I also tie this pattern and others on Mustad's R50U/TUE in sizes 12-14-16.
Wayne, Thank you for your confidence in my tying! Much appreciated friend!
RickA, I was very interested in your message on this thread! Yes, very close to the Light Cahill but, it did not start out to be that! I simply needed a lighter (cream colored) pattern to use on my little speckled darlings. I was not trying to match the hatch, more like a light colored attractor pattern! An earlier pattern that I tied was one called the Tan Flymph! A browner (tan) colored pattern that worked really well! I am interested in what you said above about the Light Cahill and the simplicity you like in tying! I am in total agreement!
Thanks again guys! This has been sooo cool!
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:31 pm

Happy New Year Doug, and to your extended family. I hope you all have a great new year. Hopefully you have time over the winter to do some tying and refilling your fly boxes. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean