Dressed For Success (another glympse inside Doug's Fly Box)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Dressed For Success (another glympse inside Doug's Fly Box)

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:01 pm

ronr wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:52 pm love the box and the flies as always. But, I'm curious about the way you put the flies into the slots... I put mine in just the opposite direction...Am I doing it backwards, or do you prefer your way for a specific reason...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You are doing it right! :P :lol: :P
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:14 pm

DOUGSDEN wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:12 pm Hi again Guys!

Mike62 - Thanks Mike! Do you suppose some brookies or browns or 'bows in your neck of the Maine woods would appreciate them?

Doug in the Den
Well, I know the brookies would certainly appreciate them. As for those other two species you mentioned, the bows and the browns, they don't exist this far north. We have brookies, and we have salmon; that's it! Sure, we have togue up the wazoo, but they're a horse of a different color.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:41 am

Doug, such nice work – kudos to you my friend!

Also: Lou’s comment made me think of a conversation we had a year or so back where I was supposed to send you some hooks, but I never did :oops:
I will get them in the mail to you immediately!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:25 pm

Beautiful Dana! I thought you forgot about me in the hub-bub of life! I will be anxiously awaiting them! Yahoo!
Thank you friend!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:31 pm

Mike,
I am glad to know that you have God's fish, the brookie so close at hand! I wonder if they would believe my offerings? I will send you some to try out and please report back to me! Maybe a picture to see how beautiful they are (the brooks that is)!
Tying even as we speak,
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:06 pm

Doug, it would be an honor to take your ties to the waters of northern Maine. I had the great privilege of being a guinea pig for some of Alan Petrucci's ties (BrkTrt). He would tie something weird and send it up, asking me to give it a try on pure brookie water. Swinging your flies through the same water that I swung Alan's will be a treat. Send em' up, baby!
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:38 pm

Mike,
They are on their way to your den! Lemme know when they get there!
Alan was a dandy! I had on occasion swapped patterns (not often enough though) and materials with him! Incredibly generous man! He held nothing back! He is still very much missed! Does anyone go back to his web-site and look around and reminisce? I do and it's still a very pleasant thing!
Doug in the Den
Variant

Post by Variant » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:44 am

DOUGSDEN wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:38 pm Mike,
They are on their way to your den! Lemme know when they get there!
Alan was a dandy! I had on occasion swapped patterns (not often enough though) and materials with him! Incredibly generous man! He held nothing back! He is still very much missed! Does anyone go back to his web-site and look around and reminisce? I do and it's still a very pleasant thing!
Doug in the Den
Doug,
I go back to Alan’s web site all the time !
I first met Alan in the late 70s on a little blue line in Connecticut fishing for wild Brook trout and we became very good friends. His passion for the outdoors was second to none.
As you said ,Alan was an incredibly thoughtful and generous man, helping everyone he could. Years ago I sent Alan a California quail skin and to my amazement a few weeks later I received a parcel and inside were a half dozen beautifully tied spider flies. The note read “ The Duncan Spider “ thanks Alan.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:03 am

That same spirit of generosity always came through in his emails and the notes he would send up. I never got to meet him in person; the closest thing was a phone call we shared a few years ago. I still wander back through his site all the time!
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:35 pm

Beautiful replies Men! The structure of his site and the cordial, easy manor in which he corresponded with everyone is as if he's still right here with us! I never had the pleasure of meeting him or talking with him only thru e-mails and responses to his posts! I wish that I would have! Oh, to be in beautiful Connecticut fishing for those "living gems" in the very places he knew so well! Lou, you were one lucky duck to have met and fished with him!
Has anyone had the same distinct pleasure?
Doug in the Den