Beginner Resources ?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

MrGando

Beginner Resources ?

Post by MrGando » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:04 pm

Hello guys, I joined this forum today! ( thanks for accepting me ) :)

I'm very interested in wet flies and how to fish them, but I don't know where to start reading! It would be awesome if we could build a "sticky post" with the base resources for new people like me ( I couldn't find something like that... maybe I've missed it ? :) )

Cheers!
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Beginner Resources ?

Post by Soft-hackle » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:33 pm

Nicolas,
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure but search our forum for "books". Maybe something will turn up. I'm sure we've discussed this many times, here. I'll suggest Wet Flies by Dave Hughes. It's a very good starting point. There's also more historical works which will be harder to locate, but good, nonetheless. The Art Of Tying The Wet Fly and Fishing The Flymph by Leisenring & Hidy is first on my list. We mostly discuss wingless wets, here-but occasionally, a winged wet shows up.

Also look at Trout by Ray Bergman, also How To Take Trout On Wet Flies and Nymphs, by Ray Ovington.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:43 pm

Howdy MrGando;

WELCOME, you gonna like it here...

I've gotten hold of the book;

"Tying & Fishing Soft Hackled Nymphs" by Allen McGee.

It's helping me sort out alot of what's being discussed. That and askin' a ton of questions.
just sayin'...
hank

PS. look at the bottom of the Board Index page and look into the sub forum there...lot's o' goodies an nuggets in there.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:10 pm

Welcome aboard MrGando. Don't be shy. Questions are welcome and we can all learn from the answers. Really nice group of folks that hang out on this board.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 am

Welcome aboard MrGando. Questions are welcome and we can all learn from the answers.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:38 am

Mr. Gando, a Huge welcome. So far you've gotten some very sound responses. I will add a twist however. If you go cruising through this site looking for an overview of how to begin in this sometimes very focussed topic, you will find some nuance and jargon that will cause more confusion than answers. Much of the information is more valuable than many of us are able to get your mind around. No offense intended, I dont know you yet, you may be a Phd in Neurology for all I know, but these things are filled with not only very specific and somewhat insulated information, but also lots of contradictory information.

I will echo Mark's comment about finding a couple good books to give you an overview, then some of this silliness will make more sense. Dave Hughs is a very good suggestion. Also Allen Mcgee's book. The Leisenring book is invaluable as well, but you'll need to know what he's talking about to appreciate just how simple and clear his methods really are. I'll add that if you can find Sylvester Nemes and Roger Fogg. I was just surprised to find in the simplest amazon search of wet flies, the first books...in order, recommended are the authors that I just mentioned. Total coincidence (based in experience.)

I would suggest breaking it down. What are the flies about? How to fish them? What are the flies you are seeing here and how do you tie them? Then pile on the questions. This group is one of the most generous and good natured in general. You can not ask a question that is too fundamental or that hasn't been asked already, so you'll get a good response, and probably some fantastic links to earlier conversations related to each of your questions.

As a side note... :D , you'll being to recognize the characters who post here often. So you'll recognize which is providing good information..and which you can just avoid all together :D :D . I'm just teasing this is a very sound and cohesive group.

Do you tie? Where are you? What is your experience with fly fishing in general?

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Welcome MrGando,
Any of the books mentioned will be a good help to get started, for fishing technique I would also include Ray Bergman's Trout. It doesn't concentrate on wingless but wets in general and is full of great info and an enjoyable read. But, if I am not mistaken, you were referring to where to start reading on this site. That is a hard question but to start, take a look at the Links page and start going through some of the links. Many of them are run by members on this forum and will give great introduction. There are very few posts to the Fishing Wingless Wets that don't hold a slice of pie for the hungry. You can search by a specific topic if you have a question, or post your question. Personally, I just enjoy sliding through old posts and reading what grabs me. There is a lot of info here and it can be overwhelming, don't try to absorb it all at once, and remember none of the info on this site trumps getting out on your water and fishing these wonderful flies.

Carl
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi Mr. Gando;

First welcome!

The books suggested already are good beginners references, especially Allen McGee;s book if for no other reason than it's readily available and inexpensive. Any of Sylvester Nemes's books on soft hackles are pretty good too, I also like his DVD on tying soft hackles, nothing beats a good video and his is quite amusing to boot!

Also, if you peruse this site and read a lot of the postings(it will take hours from one that has done it already)you can pick up a tremendous wealth of information.

The sub reference in the links section has a lot of good information and also quite fascinating.

Good luck;

Wayneb
MrGando

Post by MrGando » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:07 pm

Yesterday, I went to try some of the wet patterns I tied :)

They worked nicely :)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:09 pm

Great picture! Thanks for sharing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean