New member intro

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

Re: New member intro

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:04 pm

Theroe wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:35 am
Fishnkilts wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:42 pm
flyfud1 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:30 pm The original Betts Microfibbetts were sable paint brush bristles. I helped John package up a bunch of these after he had cut the brushes apart and dyed the fibers.

We needed some sort of signal yesterday to know who was who. I didn't see anybody in a kilt but a lot of other folks.

Charlie
How could you miss this?

Fishnkilts
Happily, we now have an authentic Scotsman, replete with Tartan kilt, aboard!
Can you shed some light on the method of "Scotch Tied Hackle"?

One other question: Celtic or Rangers ?? :shock:

Dana
Didn't I see someone here who actually lives in Scotland?

To answer your question Dana, I am neither. I am not into soccer, or European football. Now, rugby I get into, or even a good game of curling and darts.

I don't even care for American football. It's a 60 minute game that takes 3 hrs. to play with about 20 minutes of actual action. I can't keep focused on a game that stops so much. Hockey on the other hand, yeah, I like my hockey.

The reason my user name is fishnkilts is because as you now know, I fish, and I wear a kilt sometimes. But I have a kilt that's made of duck canvas and I sometimes fish the creeks in that kilt, so hence the name fish in kilts.
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:08 pm

Theroe wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:35 am Can you shed some light on the method of "Scotch Tied Hackle"?

I had always thought that meant tying while under the influence of Laphroaig?

bb
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:20 am

bearbutt wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:08 pm
Theroe wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:35 am Can you shed some light on the method of "Scotch Tied Hackle"?
:shock: :shock: I had that thought as I was typing the previous post :P :lol:

I had always thought that meant tying while under the influence of Laphroaig?

bb
Soft and wet - the only way....
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:23 am

Fishnkilts wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:04 pm
Theroe wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:35 am
Fishnkilts wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:42 pm

How could you miss this?

Fishnkilts
Happily, we now have an authentic Scotsman, replete with Tartan kilt, aboard!
Can you shed some light on the method of "Scotch Tied Hackle"?

One other question: Celtic or Rangers ?? :shock:

Dana
Didn't I see someone here who actually lives in Scotland?

To answer your question Dana, I am neither. I am not into soccer, or European football. Now, rugby I get into, or even a good game of curling and darts.

I don't even care for American football. It's a 60 minute game that takes 3 hrs. to play with about 20 minutes of actual action. I can't keep focused on a game that stops so much. Hockey on the other hand, yeah, I like my hockey.

The reason my user name is fishnkilts is because as you now know, I fish, and I wear a kilt sometimes. But I have a kilt that's made of duck canvas and I sometimes fish the creeks in that kilt, so hence the name fish in kilts.
FANTASTIC!
Hope you make it to one of our meet and greet,Flymph Forum fishing and tying excursions......
Soft and wet - the only way....
Jeanluc

Post by Jeanluc » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:35 pm

Fishnkilts wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:52 pm Hello all. I didn't know where to post an introduction, so I decided this is good as any I suppose.

I found out about this forum just today, and for a few years I have wondered if there was a wet fly forum because specific forum like this don't usually last long. But from what I see, there are members here from around the world, which I find is fantastic.

A little about myself; I grew up here in Colorado, and have been fishing pretty much since I was five years old. I didn't start out with a fly rod, but was soon introduced to one when my grandfather thought I was old enough. It was him who got me into this fine mess, and I never regretted it.

My grandparents came to America from the Highlands of Scotland, and were soon followed by my parents from Dingwall Scotland. Some unfortunate things happened while I was young and it was my grandparents who raised me. And that's where the story begins.
My grandfather fished the traditional ways of W.C. Stewart and T.E. Pritt and a few others. He only fished with wets and dry flies with a bamboo rod. Any other type was uncivilized and an abomination in his eyes. He taught me the ways he fished and so I grew up doing it the same way holding to the traditional ways, but with more modern equipment. I did venture out and fished other ways of using conventional rods for a long period of time, but there was always something missing in the feeling of it all. It wasn't too long before I figured it out and came back into fly fishing, but mostly fishing dries. That has changed now since coming back to wet flies.

Just recently I have rediscovered wet flies and have been in some wonderful discussions with friends in Ireland and Scotland about wet fly fishing. They have sent me boxes that contain some very beautifully tied wets from soft hackled to Clyde style flies. For the last two years I have been focusing more on wets and find myself falling in love with this wonderful old style of fishing. I have been trying to learn more about wet flies a little at a time and you can just imagine my excitement when I learned about this forum. So here I am, ready to learn more and ask repeated questions I'm sure you all have answered more than a hundred times. I promise I'll be gentle with you all, :mrgreen: .

I enjoy tying flies, and I'm sure I'll be able to pick up some new patterns from this forum. I think this is going to be a fun and educational place to be, and I thank you for allowing me to be a part of it.
Hello everyone,
passionnante about flyfishing and tying i live in France near a small schalkstream type river (theTouvre in Charente ) there is a nice population of brown trouts without comparaison of course with your beautiful rivers that i had the chance to fish like the Missouri river in montana and the owhyhee river in oregon. I have been Reading your forum for Séveral month but my déplorable english vas Always blocked me.i am started today
Tom share with you my passion.
In France the dry fly fishing and especially thé nymph fishing with very longs leaders and small nymphs are the dominant culture.however thé Reading of your elders like Nemes,hiddy or leisenring made me want to try these techniques on my river.here the fly that Comes close to your wingless and others flymphs is the Peute made with a duck flanc.i will try to fish with spiders likes the Stewart's upstream, i will écho my résults and i count on your advices for the choice of patterns ans drifts, happy to share with you and apologising again for my english,waiting to read you soon
Jean-Luc

a little orvis vidéo on the touvre
redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:18 am

Jean-Luc -

Welcome. No need to worry about your "deplorable" English. We can figure it out. Please post about your results.
Bob
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:02 am

Jean-Luc,

Let me add a warm welcome to the Flymph Forum. Thank you for introducing yourself, and please make yourself comfortable, look around and join in the conversation. We have members from around the world, fortunate for us all. I would like to hear more about your region, and your fishing experiences. I have traveled to France many times for work (engineer), but only to the regions of Northern and South Central France (Paris, Calais, La Havre, and Lyon). I have not been to the Charente area. I just did a quick Google search, to find the region. It looks beautiful.

Can you tell us more about the “Peute” pattern you mentioned above? Is this the same pattern?

LINK: https://globalflyfisher.com/video/peute

When you have time, look thru the different sections of the forum. You will find lots of reference material, fly patterns, tutorials, and wet fly history. Hopefully you find something of interest. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, if there is something specific you are interested in. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.

Welcome.

Ray (letumgo)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:56 pm

Jeanluc, Howdy;

Yes, it can be frustrating coming from a Country that prides itself on using
their language in a perfect manner to attempt a language such as English
which in the UK has it's good points. Whereas here in the States we tend to
bend the language to our needs and not how it should be. So, relax an
enjoy the fact that we can generally figure out what you are attempting to say.
If we get it wrong let us know in French. Some great translator applications out
there to help us to understand you.

The folks here are very helpful, taught me how to tye a fly on line :shock: .

Veuillez ne pas être un étranger. Visitez souvent et affichez des photos s'il vous plaît.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:43 am

Jeanluc, welcome to the forum. I'm new here myself, and let me tell you, you will like it here on this forum.

It's amazing to me how the culture of fly fishing is different in other parts of the world, but it is equally amazing how it brings fishermen from all over the world together. Fly fishing is truly magnificent when you see what it can do outside the water.

I am anxious to read about how you do with flymph's in your country.
Jeanluc

Post by Jeanluc » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks you all for your welcome
Yes this vidéo correspond well to the assembly of the Peute.
We use a yellow silk but Also very often red or purple.it's inventor is a famous fisherman of the 50s/60s, Henri Bresson,his talent earned him the nickname of"wizard of Vesoul" his hometown.he is the father of Several patterns including the "french tricolore" and the Peute (ugly in old french)
We use often the Peute as a last resort when fish are active but seems not interested in flies WE present.
By Reading the forum i am gathering informations all more interesting than the others but i'm little lost.i don't Know how starting,i have décided to fish like in dry fly 3/4 upstream but should i take one fly like a flymph or two like spiders ?
Here in France the opening of trout fishing take place at the end of march and i décided this year to dévote to this New ( for me of course) kind of fishing, After so Many years of fishing the fact of changing technique give me back a New desire.
Awaiting your advices
Jean-Luc
)