New member intro

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

Re: New member intro

Post by Fishnkilts » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:49 pm

ronr wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:37 am nowadays it probably includes Oskar Blues...fine craft brewery...
redietz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:33 am
NedZeppelin wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:05 am I gotta ask, what’s in the Colorado Six Pack?
It isn't Coors?
I tried to implement 90 Shilling, but it didn't work well. The more I implemented, the more my flies looked like something else. I now stick to scotch when I tie. :mrgreen:
NedZeppelin

Post by NedZeppelin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:29 am

Thanks for sharing. The Delaware Adams just jumped to the top of my fly tying list of dries. I think that will be a killer on the PA creeks I fish. The Rim Semblance 2 is also a stalwart in my CO box, but it works everywhere, whether fished deep 18” behind a split shot or greased in the film. My newfound soft hackle affection will have me ditching the plastic microfibbetts for real hackle tails tho.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:44 am

NedZeppelin wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:29 am Thanks for sharing. The Delaware Adams just jumped to the top of my fly tying list of dries. I think that will be a killer on the PA creeks I fish. The Rim Semblance 2 is also a stalwart in my CO box, but it works everywhere, whether fished deep 18” behind a split shot or greased in the film. My newfound soft hackle affection will have me ditching the plastic microfibbetts for real hackle tails tho.
Davie McPhail is where I learned that pattern. The photo of it isn't so great, or on the RS-2, so my apologies.
I also thought about using just real hackle for the tails but thought there had to be a reason for microfibbetts. I am learning very quickly that there are many different versions to tying a fly.
NedZeppelin

Post by NedZeppelin » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:46 am

Me and my flyfishing buddies obsess a bit over the RS2, and I agree we’ve always used microfibbets cocked at the correct 60-70 degree angle and speculate they function as both trigger and a rudder of sorts but who knows. I’ve got to think the earliest versions did not rely on the relatively modern plastic tails. Rim ties them with a very distinct segmentation and if you look at his versions the principles of flymph tying would seem to be perfectly applicable. “Spun body” RS2s? Why not?

https://www.rs2fly.com/RS2/RS2s.html#1
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 pm

NedZeppelin wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:46 am Me and my flyfishing buddies obsess a bit over the RS2, and I agree we’ve always used microfibbets cocked at the correct 60-70 degree angle and speculate they function as both trigger and a rudder of sorts but who knows. I’ve got to think the earliest versions did not rely on the relatively modern plastic tails. Rim ties them with a very distinct segmentation and if you look at his versions the principles of flymph tying would seem to be perfectly applicable. “Spun body” RS2s? Why not?

https://www.rs2fly.com/RS2/RS2s.html#1
I agree that flymph tying would apply. Funny you should bring up the microfibbetts because I was at a tying expo yesterday & many were saying they have gone away from the microfibbetts & now use actual hackle or paint brush fibers. You get more for your money with the paint brush.
flyfud1

Post by flyfud1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:30 pm

The original Betts Microfibbetts were sable paint brush bristles. I helped John package up a bunch of these after he had cut the brushes apart and dyed the fibers.

We needed some sort of signal yesterday to know who was who. I didn't see anybody in a kilt but a lot of other folks.

Charlie
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:42 pm

flyfud1 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:30 pm The original Betts Microfibbetts were sable paint brush bristles. I helped John package up a bunch of these after he had cut the brushes apart and dyed the fibers.

We needed some sort of signal yesterday to know who was who. I didn't see anybody in a kilt but a lot of other folks.

Charlie
How could you miss this?

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:49 pm

Last edited by DUBBN on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flyfud1

Post by flyfud1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:44 pm

Now, that I would have seen. I did hear bagpipe music coming from the parking lot!
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:35 am

Fishnkilts wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:42 pm
flyfud1 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:30 pm The original Betts Microfibbetts were sable paint brush bristles. I helped John package up a bunch of these after he had cut the brushes apart and dyed the fibers.

Charlie
How could you miss this?

Fishnkilts
Happily, we now have an authentic Scotsman, replete with Tartan kilt, aboard!
Can you shed some light on the method of "Scotch Tied Hackle"?

One other question: Celtic or Rangers ?? :shock:

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....