Fenwick Streamflex Plus 10' 3 wt and a cast of two wets

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

thedude31

Re: Fenwick Streamflex Plus 10' 3 wt and a cast of two wets

Post by thedude31 » Sun May 15, 2022 9:16 pm

I just purchased a Bruce & Walker 10’6 5-6WT The Borders to use for soft hackle and wet fly fishing … A bit of a “niche” rod so we will see how it turns out.
JVAngler

Post by JVAngler » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:52 pm

Curious how the Bruce and Walker is working for you? I'm looking for a longer dedicated wet fly rod myself to complement the 9'6" 5wt I've got.
ronr

Post by ronr » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:36 am

Dude and JV I've owned the 10'6" 3wt Cortland Competion nymphing rod for about 4 years now. It is advertised as its name suggest as a nymphing rod. And true to its name, I've used it mostly for Euro nymphing. It will enable me to cast a Swentosky style mono rig, or attach a Rio "shorty" nymphing line to my normal fly line and nymph away. I don't hesitate to switch either of these out and cast a double taper 4 wt line and perform single hand spey casts along with a trio of soft hackles.
I was convinced to buy this rod by a friend, who on the river was fishing dries with his 3wt. and offered me the chance to make a few casts. Three casts and three fish on the dry convinced me.
In short, this is a very versatile rod, can handle most trout in most situations, and comes in for under $400.
There is a more expensive version of this rod, but I haven't been tempted to buy one. My 3wt has been my go to rod about 80% of the time. I'll go bigger on bigger rivers such as the Lower Deschutes and the wind is up. But, this rod has a very soft tip to handle the surge of a big fish and a strong butt section that manages the heft of a 20" trout or 24" bull trout.
No I don't work for Cortland... but your nymphing rods will probably be less of "niche" rod than you might think. Hope you enjoy yours. I'd appreciate feedback on those rods as I'm always looking for the next best thing :D
Oenophileangler

Post by Oenophileangler » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:47 pm

ronr wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:36 am Dude and JV I've owned the 10'6" 3wt Cortland Competion nymphing rod for about 4 years now. It is advertised as its name suggest as a nymphing rod. And true to its name, I've used it mostly for Euro nymphing. It will enable me to cast a Swentosky style mono rig, or attach a Rio "shorty" nymphing line to my normal fly line and nymph away. I don't hesitate to switch either of these out and cast a double taper 4 wt line and perform single hand spey casts along with a trio of soft hackles.
I was convinced to buy this rod by a friend, who on the river was fishing dries with his 3wt. and offered me the chance to make a few casts. Three casts and three fish on the dry convinced me.
In short, this is a very versatile rod, can handle most trout in most situations, and comes in for under $400.
There is a more expensive version of this rod, but I haven't been tempted to buy one. My 3wt has been my go to rod about 80% of the time. I'll go bigger on bigger rivers such as the Lower Deschutes and the wind is up. But, this rod has a very soft tip to handle the surge of a big fish and a strong butt section that manages the heft of a 20" trout or 24" bull trout.
No I don't work for Cortland... but your nymphing rods will probably be less of "niche" rod than you might think. Hope you enjoy yours. I'd appreciate feedback on those rods as I'm always looking for the next best thing :D
Lance Egan and Devin Olsen, in their videos, use this rod. Of course, they are $ponsored by Cortland, but I am tempted. I am happy with my medium action rods, and slower cane rods, but I have a terminal case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Ron, would you be ok if you had to use this rod all day with delicate 30 foot casts with a #18 Adams?

Dale
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:00 pm

Dale... it might not be the absolute best tool in the shed.... But I can hit a 54degree sand wedge 50 yds, 60 yds, or 75 yds when I need to. So I can cast this rod 30 feet with a 18# adams when I need to.... but I can also do it with my 10' 4wt G Loomis, or my 8'6" 3wt Cabellas.... with the right stick, and a good cast, you can do lots with the stick. The Cortland rod is not designed to do this all day long...but if its the only rod I had, and the fish are determined to eat a dry off the surface... I'd not hesitate to use it.
Might be why I like the rod so much... its pretty useful in many situations.
After all...were trying to catch fish..not get certified as a FFI certified casting instructor... :D
Oenophileangler

Post by Oenophileangler » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:07 am

Thanks, Ron, my days on the water are generally with only one rod, and I really prefer to fish on the surface or just under. I'd rather gear up with that in mind; hence, I haven't wanted to purchase one. Another tool that won't get much work, and I have way too many such tools already. But you're correct, it will likely catch more fish than the vast majority of other rods.

Dale
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:07 pm

I'm glad you made this post! I fish mostly with a glass 3wt. I want to stay with a 3wt but want a long, soft 3wt as a designated soft hackle rod. Mine is only 6'6". But all the long rods are billed as "euro" rods and I have zero interest in that style of fishing. So it's good to know that these euro rods are suitable for swinging wets. One of my heroes is davy wotton and he offers a signature series wet fly rod but I can't drop that much money, nor do I know anything about snowbee rods.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:22 pm

I love my 11 foot Syndicate 3wt, and 10 foot 3wt for swinging wets. Super sensitive tips protect my tippet. Easy to cast which is easy on my shoulder.

I am in no manner a wotton fan, but if he advocates euro rods for swinging soft hackles, I am in complete agreement.
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:54 pm

Well his is a "wet fly rod" or maybe it's just a rebranded euro rod? That's my dilemma...I don't know the difference. I'm pretty new in this game. But i know I want a longer, soft 3wt. Why may I ask are you not a Wotton fan? Seems like the type of guy that would be appreciated around here. Wet fly guy, advocate for traditional tying and fishing...
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:30 am

Terrestrial12 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:07 pm I'm glad you made this post! I fish mostly with a glass 3wt. I want to stay with a 3wt but want a long, soft 3wt as a designated soft hackle rod. Mine is only 6'6". But all the long rods are billed as "euro" rods and I have zero interest in that style of fishing. So it's good to know that these euro rods are suitable for swinging wets. One of my heroes is davy wotton and he offers a signature series wet fly rod but I can't drop that much money, nor do I know anything about snowbee rods.
Snowbee makes some really quality goods. If I had the need for another rod, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a Snowbee. I tied on a Snowbee-Waldron Vise for over 20 years with zero problems. In fact, I often wonder why I switched to an HMH TRV.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"