Three days on the White River

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

Three days on the White River

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:35 pm

We got home this afternoon from a wonderful trip in Meeker visiting family and fishing the river. The river where we fished is mostly populated by whitefish, and it seems they are pushing the trout out. In fact, there's so many whitefish I can see why Colorado has no bag limit on them. The whitefish needs to be cleaned out a bit ( actually a lot ) so the trout can make a comeback. I caught about six rainbows, and close to 100 whitefish for the three days I fished.

The fly I was using was the fly I posted on Tying Wingless Flymphs, with the goose biot tail. The fish didn't seem to mind what kind of tail it had on, and it did really well. I used the fly for the three days we were there. My son was even happy to use that pattern too.

Here I am in action.

One of the whitefish. They were averaging between 15 to 20 inches. So thick dense heavy fish. They are powerful swimmers and when they got below us the advantage was theirs.

At the end of the first day I was using two flymphs, and I cast them up behind a big boulder in the middle of the river. I wasn't long when I saw a rainbow come completely out of the water. I set the hook hard and the line went tight and it sure was pulling and fighting with everything it had. I was impressed with it. Then when I was in position to grab the fish I noticed the rest of my tippet was tight and moving around as well. I quickly learned I had two fish, so that explained why the fight was so hard.

My nephew who fishes that river all the time is sold on Prince Nymphs. But when he saw that I was pretty much always fighting a fish he asked what I was using. I showed him the fly and gave him a few. He is sold on them now.

I know the goose biot tail isn't the normal thing, but I was just happy to see the fish didn't care. I'll probably tie some more with biot tails, but will also tie some up with a more common tailing material. But all in all, it was a great trip.
zen leecher

Re: Three days on the White River

Post by zen leecher » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:02 pm

Buy a smoker and smoke a bunch of whitefish. I used to fish for them every winter until a storm rerouted the channel I fished.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:27 pm

Great report.

I taught my wife and kids to nymph fish on the White above Meeker. Because there have been so many Whitefish in there.

The Whitefish in the Colorado , Roaring Fork and Crystal were transplanted there from fish from the White River.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 am

zen leecher wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:02 pm Buy a smoker and smoke a bunch of whitefish. I used to fish for them every winter until a storm rerouted the channel I fished.
+1 !!
Soft and wet - the only way....
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:35 pm

Believe me friends, a smoker was on my mind for the whole time. Any suggestions on what brand to buy? I hear Traeger is good.

I fished that same flymph on the Poudre today, and did well with it. I now need to tie some more, I only have three left.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Traegar is great for fish and poultry. I modified my Oklahoma Joe (stick burner). I wouldnt trade it. Brine your fish or the stench will stay in any smoker forever.

There are quite a few biot tailed nymphs and soft hackles in my boxes. They are good to have in an arsenal.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:35 am

Make your own smoker, and cut and season your own wood for use therein. Buying a smoker with wood chips and smoke flavoring is like buying a blister- pack fly in Walmart :shock: :shock:
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:36 am

And let’s not forget the most important step which is cleaning and brining fish.........But sorry, I didn’t mean to hijack this thread... :oops: :oops:

Dana
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:49 pm

Are whitefish native to the river?
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Johnno wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:49 pm Are whitefish native to the river?
Yes they are.