Gosling attempt

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

novabass

Gosling attempt

Post by novabass » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:59 pm

Well I tried tying The Gosling. Here is my attempt. Let me know what you think.

The Gosling tied on a TMC206BL size 10.

NS TriLobal Antron amber spun in 6/0 UNI black thread on a Clark Block. Rib is gold medium French oval tinsel. Tail is Pheasant Tail. Hackle is Orange Hen and Mallard flank.
Attachments
IMG_9249.jpeg
IMG_9249.jpeg (361.04 KiB) Viewed 494 times
FrankenFly <--my website
Where fly tying comes to life!
Brooktrout52

Re: Gosling attempt

Post by Brooktrout52 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:34 pm

Cool looking fly. Definitely will attract brookies.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:58 pm

Good looking fly. The Goslings I've seen have a light olive hackle palmered over the body, trapped down and reinforced by a gold wire rib. Not sure what size you're tying on, but then ones I've seen were on a size 8. I like your hook choice, the 206BL is a favorite of mine.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
novabass

Post by novabass » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:04 am

Thanks guys.
Ron, that definitely could be. I basically just took the recipe for this fly from Hans Weilenmann who did a video of it. I thought I may be able to use it effectively in some ponds I fish.
Last edited by novabass on Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankenFly <--my website
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:15 pm

novabass wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:04 am Thanks guys.
Ron, that definitely could be. I basically just too the recipe for this fly from Hans Weilenmann who did a video of it. I thought I may be able to use it effectively in some ponds I fish.
I actually like your variant better than the original. I seem to get some tippet twist with those flies with palmered cock hackle on the body. I'm going to use your pattern and see if I can tempt some brookies out of some local ponds. I think I have some seal that will do just fine for the body.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:21 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:15 pm
Ron, that definitely could be. I basically just too the recipe for this fly from Hans Weilenmann who did a video of it. I thought I may be able to use it effectively in some ponds I fish.
I actually like your variant better than the original. I seem to get some tippet twist with those flies with palmered cock hackle on the body. I'm going to use your pattern and see if I can tempt some brookies out of some local ponds. I think I have some seal that will do just fine for the body.
I just came back from a day of driving around the woods checking the pond ice; it's still here. Madawaska Lake may have gone out this afternoon, it was close yesterday afternoon. Everything in the Fish River chain is still locked up. I like Nova's variant, too. I might stretch it out a bit...
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:00 pm

Mike62 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:21 pm
Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:15 pm
I just came back from a day of driving around the woods checking the pond ice; it's still here. Madawaska Lake may have gone out this afternoon, it was close yesterday afternoon. Everything in the Fish River chain is still locked up. I like Nova's variant, too. I might stretch it out a bit...
Mike, Whadda ya thinking, TMC 201 or maybe just a Mustad 3906B. This is an Irish style lake mayfly I did some time ago on a 3906B. I think the proportions are pretty close.
Attachments
DSCN2018.JPG
DSCN2018.JPG (201.44 KiB) Viewed 386 times
novabass

Post by novabass » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:35 pm

Ron, nice fly! I like that a lot!
FrankenFly <--my website
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:13 am

novabass wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:35 pm Ron, nice fly! I like that a lot!
Thanks. Just one I made up before I bought E.J. Malone's book, Tying Flies in the Irish Style. I used Hebert hen cape feathers for the body hackle. Using the softer feather helped reduce tippet twist. I probably could have achieved the same result by using a heavier tippet. They are great flies for ponds.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:56 am

novabass wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:59 pm Well I tried tying The Gosling. Here is my attempt. Let me know what you think.

The Gosling tied on a TMC206BL size 10.

NS TriLobal Antron amber spun in 6/0 UNI black thread on a Clark Block. Rib is gold medium French oval tinsel. Tail is Pheasant Tail. Hackle is Orange Hen and Mallard flank.
I think it looks perfect. It'll catch fish just fine I bet.