Gossamer Silk

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

narcodog

Re: Gossamer Silk

Post by narcodog » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:12 am

Hey, DD, no problem. If you made a profit Is see no problem with that. JMO

The price of $4.00 plus change is not unreasonable. I'd hate to tell you what I paid for some of the 6A I have. Should have had my head examined. :D
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:01 am

Thank you narcodog,

I feel better now. Forgot to mention that he takes PayPal.

The colour chart does not list a Dark Claret, only #14 Claret, and I am certain that Williams Ebay purchase was #16 Olive. There is no way to make a mistake about that.

And yes, I have shades that differ from that chart. A hare is a hare; same, same but different.

If you have questions about translation, just send me a PM and I will try to help.

dd

(I received a catalogue last night from the old company that he has bought as a PDF file. It lists materials of yesterday on 38 page - in Swedish. Most of them natural. The vises are "Salmo", "Cranbrook"," Northwood", "Elwye" and "Croydon". I guess they were all sold by Veniard. A lot of this is not listed on his site. Just to give you the picture).
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:20 am

This is a great thread. DD, thanks for the info on my olive silk. Good to know I can get more when I need to.

Thanks so much.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:43 pm

DD,
This is what this board is about!
Thanks for sharing.
Jim
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:54 pm

I have one notable addition to this thread that may or may not be relevant. We must remember that these silks were originally made for sewing and embroidery. The colors varied, of course, from time period to time period based on needs for sewing and embroidery. Colors which were popular then, may not be as popular, today.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 pm

We must remember that these silks were originally made for sewing and embroidery

Mark,

This silk was only sold to licensed tiers of wingless wets. Winged flies were to be tied with nylon since Aelianus. Today you'll have to be a member of the Brotherhood to be permitted to buy.

I believe the difficulties in reproducing the dye bath/silk to be the main factor behind the varying shades. I could be wrong. Fading is another reason. The use of spectrometer makes it easier to reproduce a colour today. At least that is what I've been told. If the colour you want to reproduce has faded...well....please don't tell the fish.

dd
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi dd,
I was speaking of the original purpose of Pearsall's. I'm sure they probably started as manufacturers of sewing and embroidery threads and flosses. They were probably later, used for the purpose of fly tying. Embroidery colors are varied and were probably duplicated into the original Gossamer thread line. I think Pearsall dates back to the 1790's.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:26 pm

Soft-hackle wrote:Hi dd,
I was speaking of the original purpose of Pearsall's. I'm sure they probably started as manufacturers of sewing and embroidery threads and flosses. They were probably later, used for the purpose of fly tying. Embroidery colors are varied and were probably duplicated into the original Gossamer thread line. I think Pearsall dates back to the 1790's.

Mark
As you understand, I was just kidding...

dd
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Soft-hackle wrote:I have one notable addition to this thread that may or may not be relevant. We must remember that these silks were originally made for sewing and embroidery. The colors varied, of course, from time period to time period based on needs for sewing and embroidery. Colors which were popular then, may not be as popular, today.

Mark
I can attest to that...
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:32 pm

HI dd,
:D

I'm sure Pearsall has a very interesting history behind it.

Mark