Yellow and Hen

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Yellow and Hen

Post by DUBBN » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:13 am

For me, it has been a phenomenal Fall fishing season. Most of the bugs of late Summer, early Autumn have gone. Even the October Caddis, whose appearance was brief has disappeared. No matter, nymphing is still my favorite game, and fish have been taken on large attractor nymphs. Nymphs like the Sexy Walt in a variety of shades, Hare and Copper, Redquill nymphs, Yelow Frenchies, dark Olive Frenchies and even trout emergers (eggs). The sizes are rather large for me. Ranging from size 18 to 12.

Fishing alone can deplete my pattern supply in a predictable time frame. When two non fly tyers accompany me, My patterns can, and do disappear at light speed. I have been doing a lot of nymph/attractor tying the past month.

I awoke this morning at 4:00 AM, fully intending on knocking out some light Sexy Walts, and Surveyor Nymphs. If ambitious, maybe a few Guides Choice Soft-Hackles.

I sat down at my desk and was contemplating what hook, and what size I would start with. I realized I was absolutely sick of tying nymphs. I settled on on a size 16 Firehole hook, model 315. As per usual with Firehole the hook is closer to a size 12 or 10 when compared to other brands.

The first two attempts at the Yellow fly left me embarrassed at myself. The third attempt made me smile a bit. I will always need more practice to tie soft hackles. Tying them always puts my life in perspective.

Imagescreen shot windows 7
Roadkill

Re: Yellow and Hen

Post by Roadkill » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:55 am

Send me a dozen of this ugly fly so i can go out and test it for you!! ;) :D
8-) :lol: Love the body technique!!
NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:17 pm

Nice fly Dubbn !
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:00 pm

I would be honored to lose a few of those for you.
That is a wonderful looking fly.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:29 am

That's a great pattern. A neatly dressed mess. Wonderful.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:59 am

Thank you for the kind words all. I did get heavy handed with the mole dubbing. Still, I like the pattern.

Back to nymphs'.