Snowshoe bodies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Terrestrial12

Snowshoe bodies

Post by Terrestrial12 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:29 pm

Any of yall spun flymph bodies with Snowshoe here's foot? Its got an incredible translucency...seems like a good candidate.
wsbailey

Re: Snowshoe bodies

Post by wsbailey » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:53 pm

I don't know of any flymphs but there are lots of emerger patterns.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:42 pm

It's like seal and other course fur and hair. You can do it but it looks fairly ragged. In order to get the right profile you have to dub quite a bit of the hair on a strand. I have used it for a White Miller emerging flymph on a well waxed primrose thread so that the thread is a light green, like you would for a Greenwell's. A light partridge hackle and small bit of clear Zelon or Antron for a short shuck.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
RickA

Post by RickA » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:15 am

I save the fine underfur from the foot when I tie emergers.
I'll take a small pinch and lightly hand blend it with the dubbing I'm using to tie a flymph.
When the fly is wet and in the drift, the translucent fur gives the impression of life and bubbles.
I really like it when used in a split thread or Clark Block.
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:06 am

Rick that's exactly what I was thinking. Just using some of the fine leftover under fur from between the toes to simulate bubbles
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:29 pm

My two favorite materials: grouse and hare. Fortunately for me, I have these these creatures in abundance up here. The hare is wonderful stuff, if a little unmanageable at times; the wild stuff is like that. Like Rick, I tie most of my hare up on a block. I've never really given the underfur much thought as to whether or not it resembles bubbles, I just like the way it fishes. I mix a lot of the marginal fur into other materials, and it works very well; sometimes I even remember what I did the time before.

...but not often. I should have started keeping notes years ago.