Hooks

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Variant

Re: Hooks

Post by Variant » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:58 pm

Ken,
If you are interested in TUE hooks go to the website tworod mentioned hardydeluxe. The d18 tue hook is just a little shorter than the Partridge L5A/UE Dry Fly Supreme tue hook. The selection , prices and service are very good.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:46 am

Lou,

I appreciate the info and will check it out. I've ordered his D14 hooks before, but wasn't aware he had TUE hooks too.

Thanks- Ken
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:21 am

Roadkill wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:08 pm
DUBBN wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:09 am For most of my tying I use Wholesale Fly Company hooks. I can not prove it, but I believe they are the Old Dai-Riki hooks. At 7.00 per 100, they are a great value.

Here is a link:

https://www.wholesaleflycompany.com/

In my opinion, and that is all it is, they are better or equal to most of the brands you mentioned.
WFC hooks get most of my orders since I started running out of my Dai RIki bulk hooks from Dan Bailey. I find the replacement WFC hooks seem to have a different finish than my old Dai Riki. I love the price point and find they are super sharp when I fail to keep my tying thread away from the points. ;)
DAI-RIKI 135 on the left.
WFC Model 10 on the right.

Identical finish, same curves.

I am sticking to my opinion that WFC is selling the old DAI-RIKI hooks

Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:31 am

Dubbn,

Could be, I was comparing the only replacement WHC scud hooks I have (the M11 #16s) to the last DR135 #16s in my supply. ;)
Mfs686

Post by Mfs686 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:53 pm

I was just thinking about this the other day when I was shopping for hooks. Normally I just use whatever I have lying around. Never really put much thought into it. Style and price are more important than name.

I was looking at the Firehole sticks and I came across some interesting comments. Apparently one type (can't remember which one) had a habit of bending out or breaking. Multiple people commented on this stating that the hooks continuously broke or bent on 5/6 pound fish. All I could think of was "Where are these guys fishing that this happens on a regular basis?". :lol:

Never had a problem with Firehole but then again I've never hooked a 5 or 6 pound brown on one of their hooks.