Another of Doug's Wingless Wets

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

Re: Another of Doug's Wingless Wets

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:43 pm

Hi guys,
Ray, you always amaze me with how you find just the right things to post - like adding this video to the thread above! Perfect! Thank you for doing these things! Maybe someday I will be computer savvy like you! (a sincere compliment to you friend!).
T12, Yes, I would agree with you mostly on your comments about the way Polly R. produced his bullet proof bodies by twisting them really tight! Even in Tim F's video he produces a rather tightly wound spun body when bringing it forward on the hook shank. I was not so hot on reproducing that type of body on my renditions. I like mine a bit more plump and fuzzy. (Ray, I know you're gonna get a good laugh out of this statement like "shaving my muskrat" from another thread!) This is the wonderful property of fur dubbing! It is very adjustable to the tiers whims even as each body is being produced along the hook shank! Many times I twist the spun body very tightly at the beginning, loosen it a bit throughout the middle portion to produce a slightly thicker and/or fuzzier body, and then repeat the tightly twisted procedure at the front end! Playing a tune indeed to get the effect you want in shaping fly bodies! I also build up the under bodies of most flymphs with tying threads making a somewhat modified cigar shaped under carriage!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.