Flymphs for the film

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Flymphs for the film

Post by Old Hat » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:40 pm

Thank you gentlemen, glad you like them.

Lou, yes, seal is an underrated dubbing for keeping a fly up. It does soak up water readily and the courseness when dubbed creates a lot of area to trap air. Almost like very short hackle.

Mike, a slower reaction to the take can be most beneficial at times with wet flies. I've learned to set the hook with a little tug on the line rather than the a rod lift. I usually have a trigger finger on the line and use that finger to manipulate slight movement of the fly, once there is a take, that hand shifts quickly to quick little wrist tug, then I raise the rod and begin the play.

Ron, it's all about the water I think. Everyone has their style and it doesn't fit all water the same. I'm sure you could fish circles around me on the Metolius.

Thanks Ray, that light hare dun really has worked well for me for most an light colored colored hatches as well as light yellow bugs like sulphurs, PMD's and PED's.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com