Partridge and Pearsall's ..........Pick a Color

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FlyFisherMann1955

Partridge and Pearsall's ..........Pick a Color

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:55 pm

I'm off work today for the Federal holiday. It was a brutal 2 degrees again here this AM in Central Oklahoma. Wanted to get some time at the vise, which lately has been far too infrequent, before watching our 13-year-old granddaughter play basketball this afternoon.

I thought I would pull some feathers from a partridge skin or 2 and just use some different colors of Pearsall's Gossamer. Colors are #5 Yellow (Lemon), #6a Light Orange (Gold), #16 Olive, and #35 Salmonberry. I added a thread rib and a thorax, because I just really like that look! For the thorax, I used either peacock herl or fur dubbing; tan or olive hare's ear or a Tups blend (on the Salmonberry). Most of the partridge is "brown phase", but I did use some "gray phase" with the olive thread and peacock thorax.

Hooks are all Capt Hamilton medium weight wet fly (L2A) in size 12.
Softhackles.JPG
Softhackles.JPG (123.29 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
Ken
Variant

Re: Partridge and Pearsall's ..........Pick a Color

Post by Variant » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:35 pm

Ken, Great lookin flies !
Classic hooks and classic ties , well done .

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:38 pm

Ken,

Very impressive set of flies. Nice Hatch! ;) :D

Makes me think of fishing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:15 pm

8-) Can't miss fish magnets!! ;)
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:58 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:55 pm I'm off work today for the Federal holiday. It was a brutal 2 degrees again here this AM in Central Oklahoma. Wanted to get some time at the vise, which lately has been far too infrequent, before watching our 13-year-old granddaughter play basketball this afternoon.

I thought I would pull some feathers from a partridge skin or 2 and just use some different colors of Pearsall's Gossamer. Colors are #5 Yellow (Lemon), #6a Light Orange (Gold), #16 Olive, and #35 Salmonberry. I added a thread rib and a thorax, because I just really like that look! For the thorax, I used either peacock herl or fur dubbing; tan or olive hare's ear or a Tups blend (on the Salmonberry). Most of the partridge is "brown phase", but I did use some "gray phase" with the olive thread and peacock thorax.

Hooks are all Capt Hamilton medium weight wet fly (L2A) in size 12.

Softhackles.JPG

Ken
...and speaking of (fairly) central Oklahoma, I have a dear friend who calls Verdigris home. He doesn't tie, ...or fish, but still, he's a good egg. Love the ties! I am literally vibrating with excitement for the new season. Doug is sending some ties north. I have a couple of Dana's that need to be watered yet (the Darbee stuff!), and one or two of BrkTrt's that I wasn't going to risk; ... but what the hell, Alan wouldn't want them gathering dust, would he.

Apropos of nothing... my SIL uses 'Captain Hamilton' as his handle, out there in the ether.