Golden Brown

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

RickA

Re: Golden Brown

Post by RickA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:21 pm

Mike, I have a mask very close to what Wayne has... and a few others with shades of red brookie stuff.
They were liquid sauces but my wife is done with me cooking on the stove.
Take those snowshoes you have up there... and urine from a bull.
It will stank like kidney stew but oh-so-good.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:55 pm

I'm too old to wrassle with bulls anymore. I've already been threatened with disembowelment if I ever attempt any fly tying cooking adventures in our new kitchen. My retired science teacher friend says he wouldn't trust me with firecrackers, let alone picric crystals.

I've been rooting around all afternoon and came up with 'Jacquard sun yellow acid dye'. A UK tying site said they've had very good results using it, and the color is virtually identical to the picric. Amazon has it, ...of course.

https://www.amazon.com/Dyes-Yellow-Sun- ... 3AVDG?th=1
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:41 pm

My Golden Brown Hare's mask arrived today from Charlie's Fly Box. The pictures don't do it justice, at least as they look on my computer. What a great color! Thanks for mentioning it, Wayne.

I also had some TMC 201R hooks in the order. Really nice hooks. Better shape, better finish than the old 200R. Could be added to my favorite hook list.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"