Leisenring Style

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

IronBlue

Re: Leisenring Style

Post by IronBlue » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:45 pm

CreationBear wrote:Another question: when chopping down your long-staple fibers like from mohair, what's the length you usually go for? I'm thinking perhaps the width of the hook gap as a rule of thumb?
I'm still working on that, so your idea sounds pretty good. I have a lot to learn. My instincts are to not try to be precise and uniform, blending different lengths together. I like have a few longer, straggling fibers in the mix. They look more buggy, and give the air bubbles something to cling to. But, frankly, I don't think it makes a lot of difference. Leisenring's opening sentences in chapter seven put it into perspective for me. He wrote:
The purpose of this chapter is to explain the best method of spinning a body which will stand up under the "gnawing" of trout's teeth. A body which has been scraped down and worn well -- practically worn out-- is better than a new one for catching fish, so it is well to construct them for long wear."
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:58 pm

A body which has been scraped down and worn well -- practically worn out-- is better than a new one for catching fish, so it is well to construct them for long wear."
Great quote--I'm never on the water where it doesn't take an effort of will not to tie on the Mr. Rapidan I bought in 1996. :) Look forward to your next ties...
IronBlue

Post by IronBlue » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Daring Duffer,
Great that you mention Gunnar Johnson. Although I can't read Swedish, I am an admirer of his. He had been tying and fishing flymphs long before he knew that Hidy had come up with a name for them.
I am lucky to own a copy of the 1981 Flugbinderbrev (Flytying Letter) that you refer to. In it is a flymph tied by Hidy. I'm attaching a scan of it.
Attachments
Flugbinderbrev_flyLo.jpg
Flugbinderbrev_flyLo.jpg (82.61 KiB) Viewed 20014 times
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Beautiful fly!! Love it.
IronBlue

Post by IronBlue » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:25 pm

I've heard that Hidy was using old wire made from real silver, but it has tarnished in this example. Must have looked even better when the wire was shining and bright.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Iron,
That is a wonderful fly. I hope you cherish it.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:10 am

IronBlue wrote:Daring Duffer,
Great that you mention Gunnar Johnson. Although I can't read Swedish, I am an admirer of his. He had been tying and fishing flymphs long before he knew that Hidy had come up with a name for them.
I am lucky to own a copy of the 1981 Flugbinderbrev (Flytying Letter) that you refer to. In it is a flymph tied by Hidy. I'm attaching a scan of it.
In this Flugbindarbrev Hidy stresses the importance of using natural fur for watershedding properties, which he says gives the right translucency when wet. His recommended staple length is 5 mm and he recommends the use of tweezers to spread the fur on the silk; more fur in the middle and less at both ends to get that tapered effect. In the foreword Gunnar quotes Pete's advise:" Have the word simplicity in mind, Gunnar, try always to tie a fly you can be proud of." It seems that Hidy had a great respect for flytying as art/craft and he wanted all his flies to be beautiful, not just catching fish. In that respect there might have been a slight difference between Leisenring and Hidy.

(I only have one Flugbindarbrev, presenting the Elk Hair Caddis. This no 3 I'm quoting from is a scanned copy).

dd
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 am

If you've not already, check out Johan Klingberg's flies on Hans' site--another great Swedish practitioner of the art. :)
IronBlue

Post by IronBlue » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 am

Does anybody know of other pre-Leisenring references to the dubbing loop other than this one by F. M. Halford, 1886, in Floating Flies and How to Dress Them?
Attachments
HalfordDubbingLook.jpg
HalfordDubbingLook.jpg (60.61 KiB) Viewed 19969 times
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:39 am

I must be spiritually connected to Halford, as that is how I make my loops. Damn :roll:
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."