Scissors or knife?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

gingerdun

Scissors or knife?

Post by gingerdun » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:14 pm

On another post a discussion has come up about how to cut the thread after finishing the whip finish. There seems to be a trend away from using the razor-sharp knife, and to use scissors instead.

I have scanned the illustration from the 1941 ed. of THE ART OF TYING THE WET FLY showing Jim Leisenring's hands cutting the thread with a home-made knife. By the way, the vise was made by Leisenring for his own use. Very Bauhaus modern. He was a machinist and precision tool-maker. The string-wrapped knife in the other scan is one that Leisenring made for Pete Hidy, and which Pete used his whole life. Leisenring also used the same kind of knife for cutting the stub of the hackle tip after it was wrapped and secured to the hook. The knife cuts the taut thread or hackle stem without damaging any of the hackle fibers.

Anybody else want to chime in on the knife v. scissors debate?

narcodog

Re: Scissors or knife?

Post by narcodog » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:23 pm

I have been using an Exacto knife since I started tying back in the "50's. That's the way all of the old books said to do it. I use it for both thread and feathers. I find that I can nip a quill without cutting any hackle.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:31 pm

My current answer to that question would be "Neither". I use a whip finisher that has a razor sharp cutting notch in the end. Once I finish the whip finish, I simply turn the tool around and slide the thread into the little notch. As soon as I add tension to the thread, it is cleanly cut flush with the underside of the head. Prior to owning this whip finisher, I tended to use the inside edge of my tying scissors like you would use the knife. The blades are really sharp, so I only need to press the edge of one blade against the thread. My scissors never leave my hands when tying, so if I do a hand whip-finish, I use the scissors to cut the thread.

Instead of a knife, I use a single-edge razor. I keep one of those round magnets stuck on the base of my vice, to keep the razor blade handy. The magnet also serves to hold my hooks while I am tying a bunch of flies. If I drop a hook or fly, the magnet is a great way to find it. Just sweep the magnet over the area and the hook jumps back onto the magnet.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Sharp scissors, but I use them as a Knife and cut the tread with one side.

For magnets, I keep an old Tiemco packaging magnet next to my vise for hooks, and some childrens (game) magnets on the neck of my tying lamp to hold my finished flies .

Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:35 pm

I like scissors, but I have used a knife periodically. My hands tend to shake, so the scissors are easier for me. Ray, what whip finisher is that? I used to only whip finish by hand. Now I find I use the tool more often than not now.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Howdy All;

Just posted this thought I'd copy and past it here...

Howdy All;

I use one of these both when tye and along the stream...

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/product//Sw ... c-SD/53001

The knife edge takes a very keen edge and the sissors work like a champ.....did I mention that the
knife blade takes a keen edge ?????

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:00 pm

Kelly - I bought the modified whip finisher from Blue Ribbon Flies (http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/). I just looked on their website and could not find it listed. You may need to call them directly if you're interested in buying one. I think I paid $20 for mine.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Those whip finishers with the cutter are from Mattrelli. Several years ago I was in BRF and watching Craig tye. He was using a WF with the cutter and I asked about them. I was told they were made specifically for Craig. So when I got home I took a jewellers file and cut a small grove in the tail end, they have been working fine since.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
RnF

Post by RnF » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:15 pm

I often will use my scissors as a knife. Using just one side as a blade to cut stuff that need to be delicate. If your scissors are sharp, it works quiet well. Sometime I just break my thread by pulling on it really hard and fast.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat.
Scott D
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:07 am

Strictly good scissors here. Have tried all manner of blades and knives and tend to fall foul by either cutting too fine or close to the wrap threads and fraying them! Either that or dropping the knife (that just like buttered bread landing butter side down) sharp end first onto the concrete floor under my tying bench. Then there is simply loosing the knife under all the jumble on my rather untidy tying station!
Scissors tend to stay in my hand for the entire operation and do not get misplaced the same as a tool that must be picked up, which is also the main reason I learnt to whip finish by hand.

I need a magnatised lanyard to hang tools from...... or maybe tidy my work bench more often!
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.