Scissors or knife?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: Scissors or knife?

Post by daringduffer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:07 am

I use a scalpel more often than not. Sometimes I use one blade of the scissors or both in a small vee. A scalpel is perfect. "Ten blade".

dd
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:37 am

I whip finish by hand. I use surgical scissors for cutting thread ,hackle tips etc. . . & I'm too clumsy to leave that sharp of an instrument in my hands while tying.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:54 am

I suspect I'm in the minority on this, but I use a double-edged razor blade. I have found it allows me to trim the thread extra close with a minimum of tension applied and to leave less of a tag end. I have never been able, despite numerous attempts, to simply break off the thread cleanly without dislodging things.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:30 am

letumgo wrote:Prior to owning this whip finisher, I tended to use the inside edge of my tying scissors like you would use the knife. The blades are really sharp, so I only need to press the edge of one blade against the thread. My scissors never leave my hands when tying, so if I do a hand whip-finish, I use the scissors to cut the thread.
One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Roscoe. I've never tied with anyone else around and have only been to two shows watching others tie, so there are sure to be a number of "ah-ha" moments."

I do the same using the scissors to slice the thread under strong tension. If I'm not using Pearsall's silk, I'm almost always using Griffith's Sheer 14/0 thread, so it doesn't take much to get a clean cut.

I do love that vise. Simple and clean.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
RnF

Post by RnF » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:Strictly good scissors here. Have tried all manner of blades and knives and tend to fall foul by either cutting too fine or close to the wrap threads and fraying them! Either that or dropping the knife (that just like buttered bread landing butter side down) sharp end first onto the concrete floor under my tying bench. Then there is simply loosing the knife under all the jumble on my rather untidy tying station!
Scissors tend to stay in my hand for the entire operation and do not get misplaced the same as a tool that must be picked up, which is also the main reason I learnt to whip finish by hand.

I need a magnatised lanyard to hang tools from...... or maybe tidy my work bench more often!
Which begs a question from me. Since you tie with the scissors in your hands(forgive me if you don't, just assuming here based off your comment), have you have or almost poked yourself in your eyes/face? I wear glasses and have on multiple occasions hit them with the tips of my scissors, forgetting they were in my hand. It's actually kind of dangerous. A buddy of mine refuses to tie with scissors in hand because he did poke his eye once and almost did some real damage. I wonder how many people would wear safety glasses while tying? :)
Scott D
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:05 pm

I use scissors, and angled ones to prevent any accidental poking! ;

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4425.0

TL
MC
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Which begs a question from me. Since you tie with the scissors in your hands(forgive me if you don't, just assuming here based off your comment), have you have or almost poked yourself in your eyes/face? I wear glasses and have on multiple occasions hit them with the tips of my scissors, forgetting they were in my hand. It's actually kind of dangerous. A buddy of mine refuses to tie with scissors in hand because he did poke his eye once and almost did some real damage. I wonder how many people would wear safety glasses while tying? :)[/quote]

I do hold the scissors in my hand during the entire tying operation as a rule and touch wood I have not yet lost an eye, but then I do not wear eye glasses either.
I hold them with one loop over my middle finger and the other loop between middle and ring finger when not in use. That way the point is toward the little finger or bottom of the enclosed palm. Extending the thumb down to hook under the axle point of the scissors allows you to rotate them 180deg, slip the thumb into the other loop and they are ready to use. Reverse to store.
Sounds complicated, but it is easy enough and safe-ish. You can stab your palm on occasion with the tip points! I like to hook my little finger over the points to help negate that whilst in the "stored" position.

Not saying it is "the" way to hold them, it is just how I do it, others will have different and no doubt better ways.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:01 am

I do not use a knife. Cut the thread with my scissors, use it like a knife. I leave 1 mm of tying thread by purpose to prevent the whipfinish to unwind.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:40 am

I have poked myself in the face near the eye a couple times & bled like a stuck pig, hence I put them down while tying.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:59 am

I keep my scissors on my fingers at all times while tying. I have never poked myself in the face. The thought never occured to me. Good thing I dont pick my nose while tying... :lol: :lol: :lol: