Plovered

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Flykuni

Re: Plovered

Post by Flykuni » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:34 pm

Very nice, thanks.
Soft hackles, silk lines, bamboo rods, were our forefathers handicapped? I don't believe so. I fish with few modern things, tippet and leader, hydrophobic powder, a car to get me there.
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:25 am

I find golden plover makes a very effective Tups. If I recall, the original recipe called for golden speckled blue cock, which you will not be able to find. Golden plover definitely has the golden speckles. Looking at Donald Nicholson's Hare's Lug and Plover, imagine the body as unwaxed Primrose, and the hare's lug thorax as a semitranslucent slightly pinkish/yellowish blend of ram's wool, undyed seal fur, yellow spaniel (or golden retriever) hair and a very little bit of red mohair (all easier to find than the original hackle or the authentic "indispensible"). At least for me, it seems to outfish a standard hare's lug and plover.
DoctorFly

Post by DoctorFly » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:04 am

I had always thought that the Hare's Lug and Plover was an old pattern, but I recently found this on Roger Fogg's website http://www.artofthewetfly.com/index_fil ... Plover.htm revealing that he had made the pattern up himself.

However, since there always seems to be nothing new in fly design, the chances are that he "rediscovered" the pattern whilst playing with traditional materials and just gave it a new name.

regards,

Doc