finally

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

gdsaltzman

finally

Post by gdsaltzman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Just got my golden plover today and some waterhen feather (a full skin is also on the way). I can't wait to start tying with it, as luck would have it we are going to have our first sunny weekend here.

Sorry, I had to tell someone that would understand as my wife had a lackluster response to my excitement when I came home from the office and found the box on the front stoop.
skunkaroo

Re: finally

Post by skunkaroo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:14 pm

gdsaltzman wrote:Sorry, I had to tell someone that would understand as my wife had a lackluster response to my excitement when I came home from the office and found the box on the front stoop.
Some people just don't appreciate the importance of a shrivelled bird skin. :lol:

Fantastic! I'm very envious of the plover.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:09 pm

FELLOWS,
I GET THE SAME DULL RESPONSE FROM MY WIFE WHEN A SPECIAL PACKAGE COMES TO MY HOUSE. WHY CAN'T THEY SEE THAT TYING MATERIALS EQUAL JOY!?
PLOVER...I SEE IT REFERENCED ALOT IN MANY OF THE BRITISH PATTERNS. IS IT KINDA RARE? YOU WILL HAVE TO EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE ON THIS ONE. THERE ARE STILL ALOT OF MATERIALS I'VE YET TO TRY. AND THAT'S WHY THERE IS JOY IN EVERY LITTLE BOX LEFT IN THE MAILBOX!
TEACH ME ABOUT THE PLOVER,
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
gdsaltzman

Post by gdsaltzman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:28 pm

There are loads of plover items here, check out this one to start......

http://www.flymphforum.com/phpBB3/viewt ... ?f=5&t=554
tbar24

Post by tbar24 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:40 pm

do the mojority of fly shops carry plover or is it mainly a special order kinda thing?
looks like a good feather so i might have to be adding some to my supply of material
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:28 am

I just picked out a prime plover skin at Great Feathers, and they have several more. Check out their web site if you're seriously interested.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
gdsaltzman

Post by gdsaltzman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:51 am

tie2fish wrote:I just picked out a prime plover skin at Great Feathers, and they have several more. Check out their web site if you're seriously interested.
This where I got mine and also I have a waterhen on the way, he has one more in stock... that seems like a big challenge to get here in the colonies.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:34 pm

I got my plover and many other wet fly goodies from Jim Slattery ( www.jimsflyco.com ). What a beautiful bird.

I have just the opposite reaction from my wife when tying materials or swap flies arrive at the house. She usually tears into the box/envelope to get first dibs on the goodies. I don't dare let her into a fly shop with any cash or credit cards or she would max out everything. I always find stuff I bought migrating to her tying desk. Be thankful you get dull responses from you wife when new dead animals and birds show up otherwise it can get very expensive (but well worth it).

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:00 pm

RON,
HOW DOES THE SONG GO?....."HOW DO I FIND ME A WOMEN LIKE THAT?" YOU ARE ONE LUCKY (ACTUALLY BLESSED) EAGLE.
YOURS FROM THE DEN,
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
gdsaltzman

Post by gdsaltzman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:31 pm

I do get a similar response from the other lady in my life.... she is a red head and has a cold nose and has contributed some feathers with her pointing an retrieving skills. :-) She seemed very excited about the waterhen that arrived today!