Red Clock

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Niklas Dahlin

Red Clock

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:32 pm

Evening..
I am doing a little spider project with some of my mates.. You will get information about the project later.. I know you will be intrested :D enough said!

Well my task is the Red Clock from the book North Country Flies by T.E. Pritt. The Red Clock is No:16 from the book. Hackle from the cock pheasants neck, Yellow silk, a twist of peacock herl behind the hackle and for the head. I made some to try out this evening... What do you think?

Roadkill

Re: Red Clock

Post by Roadkill » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:52 pm

A very nice tie! Did you use continuous peacock herl or tie it in again after the hackle?
mikeytwoshoes

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:34 pm

I love it.
Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:15 am

Roadkill wrote:A very nice tie! Did you use continuous peacock herl or tie it in again after the hackle?
Thank you.. ;) .. First i tied in the hackle, then wrapped the body. Tied in the peacock herlmade two turns of it made one securewrap to hold it, wrapped the hackle 1,5 turns. then continued with the herl.

Later
Nik
Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:15 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:I love it.
Thank´s Mikey...
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:15 am

Nice tying Niklas. You use the red Cock hackle?

Something strange with this fly. Pritt gives as thread yellow, but in the drawing the fly has a red body???
The hackle in the drawing is a tippet of a goldpheasant I think. The scan comes from my copy of Pritt:1995 by Smith Settle Ltd.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:16 am

Ruard wrote:Nice tying Niklas. You use the red Cock hackle?

Something strange with this fly. Pritt gives as thread yellow, but in the drawing the fly has a red body???
The hackle in the drawing is a tippet of a goldpheasant I think. The scan comes from my copy of Pritt:1995 by Smith Settle Ltd.

Greeting
Hrm.. I didn´t think of it but I actually agree with you.. Anyone know anything about this? Mike maybe?

Maybe if I would have used a really dark wax and the yellow thread was more to the orange? And when looking at the hackles I got there are some of them has like brown/reddish center and more to the black at the edges. But if I would use those fibers I need to use a size 8 hook :lol:

Later
Nik
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:41 am

Hi Nik, Ruard,
Here's my interpretation of the pattern:

Hook: Standard wet fly

Thread: Yellow

Hackle: Golden Hackle from a Ring-Neck cock (on neck) or Red Cock

Abdomen: Yellow silk floss

Thorax: Peacock herl

Head: In front of hackle-Peacock herl

The reason for the discrepancy could be the printing process for one. Often times, what is printed in an illustration may not be color corrected to the actual illustration. Back then, I'm not sure how much color correcting they did. Over the years, the original illustrations may have gotten lost, and the only prints they have are of the uncorrected kind. Now all prints of those plates show an off color.

The only other explanation might be the body was waxed, and this darkened the thread, somewhat, making it more an orange, but the instructions do not mention waxing the thread, so I have a feeling it's more the first reason.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
mikeytwoshoes

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:07 am

mark yer interpretation is lovely as well. no surprise that.
Joe Billingsley

Post by Joe Billingsley » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:43 pm

But then why the name "Red" Clock?
Joe