vices.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Davyfly

vices.

Post by Davyfly » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:00 pm

Given the wide range of vices out there to day, what is the vice you choose to use.

Second question. If you own a rotary, do you use that function when tying wet flies of any type.

Give you my answers later.

DW
www.davywotton.com
Outfitter/guide services/FF DVDs/Custom/ flies

Bert

Regal Medallion with Stainless Steel Jaws and Bronze Pocket

Post by Bert » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:15 am

It's been said before, but this vise is like tying on an anvil. Clamp the hook and go. No adjustments. Nothing fussy.
Plus, it's endorsed by Don Bastion and Steve Silverio.

I'm an intermediate tyer who dresses flies at my leisure. On a good night, I produce a mere dozen or so.
I have a rotary vise --a Renzetti Presentation. It sits in the closet.
Eric Peper

Re: vices.

Post by Eric Peper » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:43 am

I've used a Regal for over 30 years. I had a dalliance with a Renzetti Traveler for a few years during that period and rarely used the rotary feature and now rarely use the vise. IMO, there is nothing that beats the Regal for simplicity and for holding a hook securely until you want the hook released.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:58 am

Another Regal fan here. I normally use the midge jaws when tying soft hackles, and much prefer a pedastal base so I can turn the whole thing any direction I choose.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:34 am

I grew up using a Model A type vice. First one came from Herter's. Later, went to a Thompson Pro which is very much like their Model A, but with a black finish to reduce glare. Today I use an HMH Spartan and am very pleased with it. Same style as the A but a lot better made with no head wobble. It can be used as a rotary, but the only time I use it is to turn the drum to look at my flies or if I'm tying to the bottom of the hook.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
mikeytwoshoes

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:38 am

I guess I'll respond, if only because I don't use a regal.

I use three vises, all of which I find more than adequate. renzetti traveler clamped to the bench in the tying den (gets used if I'm tying in there). peak vise which I use if tying on tv tray in front of tv. dynaking kingfisher as a travel vise and fot tv tray tying.

as far as using rotary technique for tying flies? no I don't bother, but I do prefer a true rotary vise for the standard reasons...
Joe Billingsley

Post by Joe Billingsley » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:51 am

I have a Renzetti Presentation 3000 (I guess that's what it was still called 25 years ago when I got it) and have had ZERO problems with it. I also have a HMH Spartan and use it for smaller flies because it can give me a little more clearance behind the fly and their midge jaws are smaller than the Renzetti.
When tying wets, I guess I only use the rotary function for inspecting the fly during the tying process. But that in itself is a help.

Joe
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:13 pm

I've got lots of vices -- drinking, gambling, womanizing, etc... ;)

But when it comes to tying vises I most use a older Griffin Odyssey Spyder Plus (long since discontinued). It's a true rotary with reasonably narrow jaws, and like most I don't often use the rotary function with soft hackles.

I also own a Norvise and now the Anvil Apex. The Norvise is useless for delicate work imho. I've seen Norm do some incredibly small patterns using it, but without the offset jaw attachment it really doesn't allow good in-close work. I haven't played with the Apex much, but it seems to be a very solid vise that holds hooks very well. Like the Regal it's not a true rotary, but for soft hacklesthis is a minor issue.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Started out with a Thompson A years ago and have been through a number of vises in the last 40 years. I looked at a LAW Bench vise but couldn't justify the price. After seeing some comments from the lads on UK Fly Dressing I bought a Snowbee-Waldron. A very well engineered and manufactured vise. This is the last vise I will probably ever own. At almost 63 years it had better be.

Yes, I use the rotary function when tying wet flies. I was tying at the Albany, Oregon Tying Expo and had a guy tell me I was the only one at the show using a rotary vise that actually used that function while tying at the show. I'm sure there were others, he just hadn't seen them yet.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:18 pm

I've used a Danvice for a number of years now. Love the rotary feature, especially when roughing up the body of soft hackle flies using velcro. I can twist and turn the fly to get at all sides, without removing from the vice. I generally wrap the hackle with rotary pliers. Overall I love this vice, but hope to trade up to an HMH someday.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean