A Day Demo Tying

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FliTrap

A Day Demo Tying

Post by FliTrap » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Wow! What a great day at the vice, yesterday! I was asked to tie Demo at a local fly shop that was hosting a field day for various rod reps in the area! There was food, great demos of the latest rods and, can I say… many folks (I hear that they ate some 26 full packs of hot dogs out in the yard!) that came by to “shop around”, or simply, watch and learn! I have done this on several occasions and having the gift of gab, enjoy taking up conversation to respond to those asking “how do you fish that….”.
Knowing that there would be a few other tying, I made it a point to pick a simple Flymph to tie! Nothing fancy but using a size 12 hook to give the observers something they could see. I kept it simple, three materials along with thread, using a new material, to me, and cranked out over 48 flies in the 6 hours I was there! The best part of my "show" is to pick up a stack of the plastic snap boxes found in most fly shops to use when you want to purchase a few flies! As I tied, I placed one each of the three body colors I had on hand, snapped it closed and set it aside! The fun came when I had an old timer or a youngster before me, either asking questions or sharing their memories of when they last used such a fly, and I would hand them a box, saying “catch a few for me…”
I truly enjoy the looks on their faces, sometimes smiles, for others, teary eyed, as they went right to thinking of getting back out on the waters to wet a line!
The other guys tying….
They all did some mighty fine tying, but all were so “busy’ in staying focused on some “spent trico”; ity-bitty midges and such; some foam flies and a few others, that they shared little info about with those in attendance. All were, level 3- 4 flies that were way beyond the average person there and typically took 15-20 minutes to crank one out! Few people did anything more than to say something like “Wow, I can’t hardly see it let alone tie something like that….”, then move on.
Me….
I sit here today, thinking of those 15-16, not counting the endless others on hand, when I would toss a box to some of these “old times” or someone new to the sport, many either having not yet learn to tie, others showing tired and shaky hands that would struggle to tie, then seeing their faces. Each person who stopped to chat or watch and listen, walked away with an invite to check back with the shop to see when I’ll be back. On the way out at the end of the day, I stopped by the desk at the shop to advise I’ll be posting a list of Saturday dates, expecting to come in to teach those wanting to learn this art! It’s all done for free…. those who sign up,will only pay with more of those smiles and sharing stories.
Yes, the store will provide class equipment and materials!

The Fly Pattern:
Thread: 8/0 Black (or match body color as you please!)
Ribbing: “Midge” Diamond Braid (contrasting colors or go similar to body color!)
Body: Wapsi, “Awesome Possum” (Light Olive, Black or Golden Stone, were the three I demo’ed) Note: I cut this material down in length and dub lightly onto the thread with a twist between the fingers.
Hackle: Soft, Hen (Black on black body; cream or ginger on the others!)
NOTE:
The hot pattern that drew the most attention, was "black" body with black hackle and Blue MDB!
Second was the "Golden Stone" with ginger hackle and a Fl. Chum Green MDB!
May I say, while I have not fished these patterns (yes, I “made them up" that day! :mrgreen: ), the body colors noted, ribbed with the MDB looked real great on the size 12, Nymph hook. I’ll be filling in a few spots in my boxes with more of these, after tying up some! Check it out.
Sharing the Art!
FliTrap
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: A Day Demo Tying

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day (on both sides of the vice). I have gone to watch Mark (Soft-hackle) and VERN-O tye at one of the local shops and enjoyed watching them share their knowledge and skills. It's great that you shared your creations with so many people.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:52 pm

Yup,
That's half the fun of this--sharing it with others, not only at the vise, but on the water as well.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks, guys, for the feedback!
As mush As I tie flies, I've always viewed it as a sideline activity between trips to the water! I enjoy the time lending a hand to those getting started in the art of tying, but make an effort to explain the "what and why for..." sides of doing it! There are so many patterns out there, and as Mr. Conner will tell you, they each need, for history sake,to be respected in the mnature of materials; the manner of tying and then the methods of fishing! This all needs to be shared with the next generation!
But we also need to respect the creative side of the Art! That with each fly, there was an active choice, in the acts of original creator, to put the materials he had access to, to good use and in as much, he felt that he was doing so in a way that would fool a fish to consume it! That process.... of "seeing" the perception within the mind, then selecting and assembling materials in such away as to create a tool that "may or may not" work!
We each only have so little time, so many days, so limited skill, in our quest to "prove" that pattern! It may not happen in our life time; on our waters; or even with the exacting detail in which the fly originates! But its the dream that keeps us each going. And the idea that someone else shares their success and as much, their confidence, that should influence us as fly tyers, to continue to copy, and at times, tweak those patterns!
Yep... the only thing better, is when others can see it too! Half of tying flies is hooking not only the fish, but other fisherman!
FliTrap