New here, I would appreciate some help

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Oenophileangler

New here, I would appreciate some help

Post by Oenophileangler » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:20 pm

I just started tying about two weeks ago. Retired in March 2020, not due to Covid; had it planned for a long time. Planned to travel a lot, and fish more, but those didn't happen (maybe before I die). Fly fishing for over 25 years, learned to spin fish 55 years ago. Was never interested in tying, but I had gone to John Shaner's talks at The Fly Fishing Show and became mesmerized by North Country Spiders. You can't buy these things. I "met" joaniebo in the bamboo forum, and even bought some of his soft hackles a number of years ago. He ties some really nice ones. I realized I needed to tie myself.

I dove head first into the deep end. That's how I do things, though. I had a bunch of Cabela's gift cards stashed away, but still spent a lot of bucks on tools and materials and some tying books. Best instruction seems to be youtube and vimeo.

Anyway, I started by learning jam, pinch knots, whip finishing, trying to turn hackle. Had to learn a whole new language. I actually didn't tie a complete fly until a couple of days ago. Embarrassing to look at, but I bet it would catch a desperate trout!

So, here's my first batch tied yesterday (actually, they're flies # 4, 5, 8, and 9). I think they're ok, but the heads are ugly (and I'm not sure how long the flies will last before unravelling). I still need to get the hang of using peacock herl, as well as sparse dubbing.

TMC 2499BL 12, Starling, YLI 216 Orange Silk, Olive Hares Ear Dubbing

TMC 3769 12, Starling, Ephemera 3335 Purple Silk

TMC 3769 12, Partridge, YLI 216 Orange Silk, Peacock Thorax

TMC 3769 12, English Grouse, YLI 216 Orange Silk

This post is to invite (constructive) criticism, please! I notice that instructional videos don't really go into the nitty gritty of exactly how to tie on a hackle feather, and more important, how to tie off. I can't tell you how many times my hackle pliers lost tension and then the feather just unravelled like an unsprung spring. I blame the pliers, of course, not the user. Or how the bobbin didn't quite function properly. Again, not the user.

It sure would be nice to be in an actual class. I may well try to attend one at the next fishing show.
Last edited by Oenophileangler on Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DUBBN

Re: New here, I would appreciate some help

Post by DUBBN » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:03 pm

Welcome.

If you need a tutorial, this guy is what you are looking for.

Your flies look great. That being said, since you do want to expand on your skills, Hans's videos are a great place to start.

NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:10 pm

I agree with Dubbin. Hans is the master of thread control.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:23 pm

Yo Oenophileangler

I don't remember your info but send me a PM and I'll send you a few spiders to use as demos to duplicate.

Cheers

Bob
Oenophileangler

Post by Oenophileangler » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:28 pm

Hi Bob, I'm "dale" over in the bamboo forum. I appreciate your offer! I still have some of your flies as templates, so no need. I was in your email address book until your computer got a bug, I think.

Dale
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:30 pm

First, welcome! Don't be discouraged, based on these early offerings, great tying can be in your future. Of the 4 flies pictured, #2 is your best effort (purple thread body and perhaps starling hackle). The body is nice, as is the hackle, and your proportions. The head is finished well too. Use this fly as your measuring stick.

On Fly #1, the dubbed body is fine. The hackle isn't wrapped as well as Fly #2; however, that fly is fishable.

Fly #3 will catch fish. I agree with your comments: the peacock thorax could be better (tighter) and the head isn't finished as well as Fly #2.

For Fly #4, my only comment is about the length of the hackle. For me, it's too long, but some others may like it. Let the fish provide the ultimate feedback.

While videos are better than just reading about how to tie flies, actual "in-person" instruction is best. Many TU Chapters offer classes, as do some fly shops. Not sure where you live, but you may find someone on this Forum in your area. Especially important since you're interested in North Country Spiders.

The best tying advice I ever heard was from Charlie Craven. He said: if you tie on a tail and you don't like it, don't continue. Take the tail off and do it again--get it right! Because if you don't and you continue and finish the fly, you aren't going to like the poorly tied tail when the rest of the fly is finished.

Tight Lines- Ken
Last edited by FlyFisherMann1955 on Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oenophileangler

Post by Oenophileangler » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:30 pm

Oh, and thanks to NW and Dub. I think I've seen Hans' videos before, but not recently. I will review them.

FFMann, thanks for the notes. The hackle length is a bit challenging for me. I have a hackle gauge, but it is foreign to use. I need to figure out how to choose feathers from the skin/cape. That one which has really long hackles has Grouse, from a bag of loose feathers. I think the feathers are all too long for the size of flies I like.

I think this just requires trial and error/success for me.

Dale
Last edited by Oenophileangler on Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:35 pm

Oenophileangler wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:28 pm Hi Bob, I'm "dale" over in the bamboo forum. I appreciate your offer! I still have some of your flies as templates, so no need. I was in your email address book until your computer got a bug, I think.

Dale
Still live on Sleepy Hollow Lane?

Bob
Oenophileangler

Post by Oenophileangler » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:37 pm

joaniebo wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:35 pm
Oenophileangler wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:28 pm Hi Bob, I'm "dale" over in the bamboo forum. I appreciate your offer! I still have some of your flies as templates, so no need. I was in your email address book until your computer got a bug, I think.

Dale
Still live on Sleepy Hollow Lane?

Bob
That would be me, in the far west!

Dale
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:39 pm

Dale

Giver me a little while to send you some recent ties (much better than years ago), as I'll be away for a few days.

Bob