Steelhead/Salmon Flymphs..... ;>)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

willowhead

Re: Steelhead/Salmon Flymphs..... ;>)

Post by willowhead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:39 am

Jeff, "luck" is a falisy.......& if that weren't true.....i'd have Usuals in my pockets at all times. ;)

Here's another from last night.........one more to go, pic tomorrow.....& Jeff, it's specially for you.....actually has a floss body. :lol:
Hook: Justice 2001 Keel WB (Wave Barbless) 2XL 2X heavy size 4
Thread: Uni 8/0 Hot Burnt Orange
Tail: dyed hot Orange Mallard over GP Pheasant shoulder feather
Butt: bleeched & dyed Yellow/Orange Peacock herl
Body: (tyed in at the front & ran down and back) Pearl Mylar tinsel
Wing/Collar: Mallard flank feather.....scratch that.....i think it's Woody :D
Attachments
Here Little Birdy lol.jpg
Here Little Birdy lol.jpg (104.71 KiB) Viewed 2049 times
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:01 am

Mark that is one I could almost reproduce, albeit not as nicely tied! The orane herl might slow me up...... dyed ostrich would be easier to find here.Can do the Mallard prett easy from here- but thanks to one of our fellow members I now have some wood duck. Floss or mylar? Either way it is a nice smooth body.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:27 am

Thankx Jeff.....Go For It! Love to see your version.....the body is Danville Mylar tinsel.....that Pearly stuff.....overlapping turns, down & back.....you know. And yes, Ostrich would be fine. ;) Don't make one bit of difference...........and guess what? Fish don't............... :lol: :lol: :lol:

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:52 am

All three of your most recent "fishing flies" are beautiful, Mark, and even though the title part of the "Seal Steelie Flymph" is somewhat obscured in the photo, I still like that one the best. That's an outstanding hackle job.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:44 pm

Mark, the Seal Steelie Nymph is gorgeous!
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Bill, thank you. To a certain degree (as she is so wonderful to take all the pics for me/most of the time), i don't have a lot of sway as to "how' the pics come out. i make general suggesstions and occassionally insist on this or that.....but like i said, it's enough that she takes all the time and trouble to help me out there, so i try not to be to demanding bout it. "What you see, is what you get." Type-a-deal........ :roll: :lol: ........and don't worry, i know your not bitchin' a bitch, just bein' honest. Thass why i appreciated your imput so much. i respect your "eye" tremendously.
Btw Bill, pm you snail mail addy again.....got a little package i wanna send your way, and i wanna make sure you get it before we all head for Somerset.
Kelly, it's a flymph not a nymph.........but if it's a nymph to you, then it's a nymph......all semantics aside.....what difference does it really make if it catches a fish.................or a fisherperson. :D It's a fly...........HELLO! :lol:
Here's one for you. 8-)
Attachments
Grape Juice Steelie Flymph.jpg
Grape Juice Steelie Flymph.jpg (74.87 KiB) Viewed 2006 times

willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Sorry, ran outta time.....multitasking don't you know..... :D
Hook: Justice 2001 Keel Wave Barbless 2X Long 2X Heavy
Thread: Grey 6/0
Abdomen: purple floss
(i just invented this :lol: ).....spose you could call it a "Ting" or a "Wail".....cause it aint a tail and it aint a wing.....it's sorta bouff. Gets tyed in right where abdomen and thorax come together.....and in this case, i used 7 strands of lavender KF..... ;)
Thorax: rear half, Masterblend Purple Haze.....it's a Rabbit and antron blend.....same deal as Haretron.......just somebody elses brand..........i picked the stuff up in a fly shop (Jack's Tackle), in PA. one day who knows when............ :roll: front half, purple silver lined glass bead.....
Collar: Silver Pheasant covert feather dyed purple.....

this fly could of got fancied up a bit with a litle silver tip and silver ribbing..........but it's a fishin' fly...........present it right, it'll get swallowed. 8-)

i gotta get to work on a Streamer for my doctor........or should i say, one a the doctors i been seein' lately..........this guy's a fly fisher always after huge Browns........he was Whitlock's doctor before Dave moved back over to Oklahoma........he's the one who hooked me up with these way cool pain pills. :D

Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Sorry I don't know why I said nymph. I have been making mistakes like that a lot lately. Loved the new purple one too.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Kelly, if we're countin' mistakes, i gotta bow out now..........i prolly hold the record................damn good thing we AINT countin'.......... :lol: Glad you like the purple fly. ;) lotta fun tyin' simple fishin' flies..........and i'm convinced that puttin' a little bead behind the hackle will give the fly much more consistant action.............not to mention the bead is a definate "trigger." :D

Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:23 pm

And purple is a proven fishy colour, especially if fished deep as it retains it's colour better in lower light spectrum than most other colours so still gives contrast instead of fading to grey as most other colours do as they run out of light.

Nice "modern" tie Mark.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.