No name Nymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

willowhead

Re: No name Nymph

Post by willowhead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:19 pm

Thankx Donald.....that's Kevin Compton's site. He's a real good guy and very fair to deal with. We just got a packge in the mail again from him a couple days ago. Misa had apparently ordered a few things (more Dohiku hooks, size 8 streamer this time, and bout a half dozen colors of their sparkle dubbing), i didn't even know about. :lol: All i can say is.........good for her. :D When i ask her bout it, she said, "well, you can use the dubbing too.....".....i just tole' her, no, that's YOUR dubbing....... :lol: Take her 20 yrs. to use all that........ :D So, it's Kevin that's bringing that stuff in. Well, i'll prolly see him again in Somerset. i got bout 600 spools of...................whatever...................so i'm not really lookin' to be buyin' that kinna thing though, :roll: but it really does look to make nice bodies. Looks to be quite translucent. i gotta be real careful from now on, to try my best to only buy things i'll not only use........but maybe even use up. And you know how hard that is......... :oops: Watch, we'll end up with some............ :lol:

i just finished a fly for one of my doctors a while ago.....i used small silver lined red glass beads for eyes. It's a fly for BIG Browns at night.....or daytime. Taken it to him tomorrow. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:34 am

Lovely fly Donald, I think the body came out great.

I've been using Hends products for a couple of years now. They make some top notch stuff, my favourite dry fly/all round hook is made by them a 404. :D

Karsten
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:07 am

Donald,
Nice looking tie. Over here we class a nymph as a fly that has no hackle apart from maybe a few whisks as a beard or representing legs, so would class your fly as a wet fly. NOT that I am calling you out or saying you are wrong, just to let you know when it comes to fly grouping here in NZ we are pretty simplistic.
I imagine when wet your tie would look very much the nymph it represents with the hackle flowing back over the body as wing case and legs.
I bet it is a fish catcher for sure.

Karsten, dont tell me Australasia has one up on our American friends? I too have been using Hends products for a couple of years. Have yet to see the hooks here but the body material has been here a while. I really like the #0,69 luminous tinsel and the translucent quill body material.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:44 am

i've been drooling over those materials for at least a couple years........every since we got the first book showing everything in the back...............good to know Kevin can get their products. ;)

Mark L. did you see all that stuff in the back of the book i sent you? Check it out..............some way cool stuff. The link is right above here, at one of Donald's replies. :D
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:50 pm

Donald, I am glad to know Hends products are available in the USA now. Thank you for that. I wonder if their shellback shrimp foils are any good. I have been making some scuds lately for fishing, and the stuff I have tears off too easy. I have been using zip lock bag pieces instead. I think after it isn't brand new, it just won't hold up. When I can, I will make an order from there. But it'll be next month probably.