Endrick Spider

Hook - Mustad 3399 or equivalent

Thread - Black

Tail - Pheasant tail fibers

Abdomen - Pheasant tail fibers

Rib - Fine copper wire

Thorax - Peacock herl

Hackle - Brown partridge

101 Favorite Nymphs and Wet Flies: History, Tying Tips, and Fishing Strategies - David Klausmeyer
Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult
DarrellP

Re: Endrick Spider

Post by DarrellP » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:38 pm

Perfection
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:48 pm

Marvelous! I'm going to tie many of these.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:27 pm

If you hadnt said it was a spider, I would have guessed Pheasant Tail softhackle.

Nice
nfrechet

Post by nfrechet » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:09 am

from the authors book

THE ENDRICK SPIDER IS ANOTHER OLD WET-FLY PATTERN. From what I can tell, it is of Scottish origin, but that’s of no importance: it will catch trout everywhere. John Shaner tied this fine example of the dainty Endrick Spider. Actually, because of the peacock-herl thorax, maybe it’s one step larger than “dainty.” It seems like more of an imitation of a small-to-medium sized emerging mayfly nymph, or perhaps a caddisfly pupa. While we often think of using sparse wet flies and spiders as a form of fishing practiced only in the United Kingdom, nothing is further from the truth. Many knowledgeable North American anglers routinely use wet flies; the silhouette of an insect struggling to the surface often overcomes the instincts of the wariest trout. American authors such as James Leisenring and Sylvester Nemes wrote about wet flies, and Dave Hughes and others carry on the tradition. These simple flies catch trout, and even novice anglers can quickly learn to use them. They are also extremely easy to tie, and by changing hook sizes and colors of materials, you can fill a fly box full of fish-catching patterns. Wet flies have been around for almost 200 years, and they will continue to be the cornerstones of many fly boxes.

now we know its history or lack thereof

try a google search or shoot an email to klausmeyer for possibly more info

from davie mcphail

https://youtu.be/daubfH_0zJs

The Endrick Water or River Endrick is a river which flows into the eastern end of Loch Lomond, Scotland.

Its drainage basin covers a large part of the west of Stirling District. The Burnfoot Burn rising on the southern slopes of the Gargunnock Hills and the Backside Burn rising on the eastern slopes of the Fintry Hills combine to form the Endrick Water which flows south before turning sharply westwards at the foot of the western dam of Carron Valley Reservoir. The river flows through Strathendrick, the village of Fintry and past Balfron and Drymen before entering Loch Lomond.The Endrick Spider is a simple pattern but is a very popular fly with fishers...

Materials Used;

Hook, Fulling Mill All-Purpose Medium size 12

Thread, Uni-8/0 Dk.Brown or Black

Tail, Pheasant Tail Fibres

Rib, Small Copper Wire

Body, Cock Pheasant Tail Fibres

Hackle, Brown Partridge body Feather

images of the endrick spider

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALi ... =929&dpr=1

pheasant tail or endrick spider

http://softhacklepatternbook.blogspot.c ... pider.html

https://www.congletonflytyingclub.co.uk/2019/03/
Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult
Variant

Post by Variant » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:53 am

Well Done Norm !
I also like the history.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:38 am

Years ago, a friend in the UK sent me the dressing for the Endrick Spider and the only difference I could see between this dressing and a "standard" PT soft hackle was that the ES was weighted under the PT body.

Bob
Attachments
8573CA4D-8B01-42FE-BDF0-D90EEF69A898.jpeg
8573CA4D-8B01-42FE-BDF0-D90EEF69A898.jpeg (260.43 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
Last edited by joaniebo on Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:28 pm

I like it better with the added peacock herl thorax.

Thanks- Ken