Crappy Day Irish May

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Liam

Crappy Day Irish May

Post by Liam » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:29 pm

This isn't exactly a flymph, I know. The dressing techniques are similar, however and I thought this would work great on any water as an attractor, dry or wet. I think you could fish it on top or below with slow twitches to elicit good strikes. I call it the "Crappy Day Irish May" because today is a really crappy, dull day in central Maryland and I think this color scheme would be great. Enjoy!

Any comments, criticism or insight are appreciated!
Crappy Day Irish May
Hook-Kamasan B170 or Daiichi 1550 #12-16
Thread-Purple Pearsall's
Tail-Dyed black cock pheasant tail
Rib-Fine gold wire
Body-Dark purple seal
Body Hackle-Jungle cock body feather
Head Hackle-2 natural french partridge feathers

I'm sorry the head got cut off, it's clean- I promise. I am using photobucket to upload these photos, if anyone knows why the right hand side of my photo is cut off please help. I am new at this!
Last edited by Liam on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Crappy Day Irish May

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:04 pm

Liam,

I can see the whole fly just fine. Great dressing. Looks like it would work very well as a loch fly as well.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Liam wrote: I call it the "Crappy Day Irish May" because today is a really crappy, dull day in central Maryland and I think this color scheme would be great.
I, on the other hand, was inspired by the crappy day to tie streamers for crappie.

You had the better idea. Nice tie.
Bob
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:43 pm

The photo should resize itself. If it doesn't it could be your browser. You can click on the photo to bring up a window showing the full photo. Great looking fly!

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
RnF

Post by RnF » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Nice tie Liam.
Scott D
Liam

Post by Liam » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:51 pm

Soft-hackle wrote:The photo should resize itself. If it doesn't it could be your browser. You can click on the photo to bring up a window showing the full photo. Great looking fly!

Mark
Thanks Mark-it did. When I previewed it the head was cut off, but when I came back to read the responses it looked great. Rarely in life do my computer problems solve themselves this easily! :D
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:16 am

The picture is very good ,and sized perfect. O ya good looking fly, :mrgreen: I like how Mark has the forum set up for photos.

John
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 pm

This is my kind of fly! I love the Irish mayfly patterns.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
Liam

Post by Liam » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:50 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote:Liam,

I can see the whole fly just fine. Great dressing. Looks like it would work very well as a loch fly as well.
Ron- I believe many of these dressings are loch flies. The little bit that I have read indicates that there was some amount of pollution in Irish rivers at the end of the last century and they have focused, somewhat, on lake fishing. If you are more interested in these flies, I learned the basic dressing style from Hugh Hutson and I bought Patsy Deery's "Irish Mayflies: A Fly-fisher's Guide". The book's photography and description of use is beautiful.
flymph

Post by flymph » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:35 pm

fu
Last edited by flymph on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.