Ringneck and Plum

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Ringneck and Plum

Post by tie2fish » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:02 pm

I was hoping I could capture the greenish metallic sheen on the tips of the hackle barbs, but it didn't show up -- probably a lighting flaw. Despite that, it's a decent looking spider ...

Hook: Daiichi 1550, #14
Thread: A Pearsall's Gossamer, the exact shade of which I'm embarassed to say I don't know, but it looks like plum
Hackle: From the neck of a Chinese ringneck pheasant cock
Rib: Oval silver tinsel, X-fine
Body: Thread wraps

Last edited by tie2fish on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Ringneck and Plum

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Bill,
That is beautifully simple and I'm sure it will be most welcome on the trout's menu.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Nice fly. It if very tough to capture the green highlights that you mention without natural sunlight. Even then it is very difficult. I believe the color you used is called claret.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Definately Claret.....it sure is a gorgeous fly. i LOVE your single turn of tinsel at the rear.....that is really cool. ;)

btw Bill, THANK YOU very much for the fly.....i'm gonna go through some already matched hooks and beads to try and find something special to tye for you. When you get it, please post a pic.....i down to almost no pics space left. :(
you won't believe what just came in the mail.....you know snowmass angler over at Jose's site.....? He sent me two married wing flies that KILL, tyed on size 6 Ken Sawada Old Limerick Wet fly hooks, and a package of 25 of the hooks. BEJESUS.....
i'm "Flabergasted".........can you imagine Daffy Duck tryin' to spit that one out.........? :lol: :D :P
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:59 pm

OK Bill, your first fly is finished.....i just did it. And i decided to do two for you, "before" i ever started the first one. :D This first one came out pretty nice i feel.....here's the recipe.
Hook: antique 4/0 Shakespeare O'Shaugnessy Forged
Thread: Danville Flymaster waxed white 6/0 for the working thread,
Sheer 14/0 primrose for finishing the head
Tag: Kreinik braid red/black
Tail: red MaCaw feather, wraped collar style
Butt: red Montana Fly Company Salmon dubbing
Abdomen: red & clear glass bead
Thorax: same dubbing as butt
Rib: Kreinik red & gold thread
Collar/Wing: two red Macaw feathers
Head: same dubbing as butt and thorax

BOY it was fun and challenging.....the first collar feather came undone after i had trimed the Rachis of the feather off, and tried to smash it down some.....so i hadda find a way to redo it using the same feather.....and i did. Then i hadda get another feather wound in front of it.
Both the tail feather and the first collar feather have the tip folded back and incorporated. The most outta (second) collar feather does not. Just didn't have the room to work with to pull that off with the second collar feather. Something i very often do, is to incorporate the feather(s) tips(s) when i do collars, by folding them back (underneath), and locking them in to the dressing.....not always by any stretch, but often. Depends on the nature of the feather and the "look" i'm after. 8-)

Otter

Post by Otter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:34 pm

That's a very nice tie.
The hackle looks very interesting, chinese ringneck is not something i have ever come accross. If you get a chance can you take a pic of a single hackle.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Bill,
WOW! It is perfect in every way! A classic example of precision tying. The "plum" color is very interesting and definately would work in my little waters!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:22 pm

One for the showcase. Very nicely tied.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:28 pm

Otter wrote:That's a very nice tie.
The hackle looks very interesting, chinese ringneck is not something i have ever come accross. If you get a chance can you take a pic of a single hackle.
You probably have. Although the Chinese ringneck pheasant is a recognized subspecies, (Phasianus colchicus torquatus) some folks call a common ringneck pheasant a "Chinese" ringneck, just as some call a brown trout a "German" brown. When I was growing up I thought those were their proper names.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:51 pm

:D exactly Stew..... ;)

Bill, i've decided on the hook and bead for fly #2.
Hook: Partridge CS6JP size 6/0
Thread: Danville Primrose 6/0
Bead: Blue African Trade Bead
and that's all i've got so far......... :lol: goin' to work now. OH! btw, i already figgered out a way to "box" fly #1. and it's in a cork, clued into the bottom of a plastic fly box, ready to go. 8-)