Beginner's flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

IronBlue

Re: Beginner's flymph

Post by IronBlue » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:41 pm

All of you are doing a great job of building my confidence. I know the trout are supposed to be the only critics that matter, but then when I look at those flies on flymphforum's fly dressing pages, I see how much I have to learn. I'm going to keep practicing.

I have to admit that I'm temperamentally not so interested in learning only the classic patterns. I can't resist designing my own interpretations based upon looking at the insects, or good photos of them -- which I know some of you do too. And sometimes taking liberties on mother nature.

Speaking of which, Willowhead, I really LOVED your Artistic Jazz Flies. I haven't gotten quite that adventuresome, but who knows? However, at this point, the next frontier for me after these flymphs is just to tie some weighted nymphs. That looks hard enough.

Dougsden, I'm curious about the Daiichi 1740s too. Haven't fished with them yet. Not as many choices in the up-eyes, so I pick em up when I can, whatever the brand. But I'm pretty ignorant about the subtle distinctions in hook quality. All I know is that the smaller the hook, the more stressed out I get. I've decided that size 16 is my limit for a while.

And Letumgo, thanks for the compliment that just came in while I was writing this. "Buggy" is good, I agree, especially if I were a hungry fish. I hope that will help compensate for my lack of technical finesse.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:51 pm

IronBlue - Would you mind posting a photo of your hen skin? I am intrigued by the coloration of the hackle. I am wondering if this is a dark honey dun or rust dun hen. Whatever it is, it is a lovely feather for flymphs.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:04 pm

You mentioned Hans in your initial post, and I see that he posted a Olive Hackled flymph similar to yours. Yes he has a wonderful tying style, and his photography is beyond reproach. That being said I would choose your pattern over his Olive hackled pattern every day of the week. Your choice of colors match the naturals in my local waters better than an Olive Hackled Flymph. That is only an opinion, not a documented fact.
I will say this, the tail is longer than anything I have ever taken to the river. Thats not a bad thing. If you discover the fish want a long tail, you are in business. If you find out they want a short tail or no tail at all? No problem. Just cut the tail to length or cut it off entirely. On the river, it's easyer to cut a tail off than add one.
Great tye sir.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:19 am

IronBlue, Howdy;

Beautiful, fly, I struggle with each and everyone that I do tye...
You seem to have tyed some flys before you showed-up here.
Down in the Fishin' Cabin is a thread called Heritage. Your choise,
but I have a feeling that your story might be of interest to some of us here.
Again, your choise....

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
IronBlue

Post by IronBlue » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:07 am

letumgo wrote:IronBlue - Would you mind posting a photo of your hen skin? I am intrigued by the coloration of the hackle. I am wondering if this is a dark honey dun or rust dun hen. Whatever it is, it is a lovely feather for flymphs.
Ray, Here it is—an old, second-hand skin—origin unknown. What can you tell us about it? I haven't looked to see if they are available now.
Attachments
AshyHenSkin2.jpg
AshyHenSkin2.jpg (166.55 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 am

Very nice skin. The feathers look like they have some mottling in them, in addition to the golden tips. "Ashy" is a perfect way of describing the center color. This skin will be a very useful coloration for flymphs. Thanks for sharing the additional photos. Much appreciated.

GUYS - Make sure you click on the photo. It will enlarge to show a close up of the skin.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 am

Very nice hen back...........kind of a half honey dun and half rusty dun.....great flymph material. As long as you keep your entusiasum, you'll be tyin' master pieces VERY soon. And your flies are VERY nice as is.....no doubt fish will love 'em and apparently we love 'em too. You've got the right attitude. Glad you like the JazzFlies.
Roadkill, i really like your sentiment there.....great outlook. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:18 pm

Beautiful skin!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:41 pm

IronBlue, I must say this fly is stunning just the way it is. I adore the buggy, classy look. This is a definite, BIG TIME winner for me. Bravo. Keep it up please!!! :D
IronBlue

Post by IronBlue » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Everybody, thanks for the encouragement. The vise has been idle all day. Maybe tomorrow. Fifteen degrees Fahrenheit right now, sky full of stars. New England v. Denver football game almost over. I don't follow football, but I gather this is an important game.

Willowhead, as usual, I share your sentiments about this football match.

I look forward to comparing flymphs with all of you in the months head.