Lady Caper

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Lady Caper

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:16 am

No way! Haven't you ever seen their sharp cruel fangs!

(Monty Python reference)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:14 am

Ray,

I read a bit by Davy Wotten that the Argentinian hares are transplanted European hares. According to the SwissCDC site, what makes their dubbing different is that the hare's are wild, therefore have a different coat than the fur farm hares. Another case of non-native species making good dubbing.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:26 pm

I really cannot tell which animal (regular hare or mara) sponsored the dubbing I used in this, and a number of other patterns, other than that it is labeled "pure Argentinean hare". What I do know is that its mix of fine and coarse strands makes for a very effective use across a range of sizes and styles.

I also think the packets carry a hefty price tag, but each will tie hundreds of flies for me. The per fly cost is "peanuts" 8-)

Use whichever alternative you have available and consider reasonable.

Cheers,
Hans W
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:42 pm

Mike,

Not sure about others, but I have certainly never claimed superiority of the material over the 'standard' stuff. The colors I have offer me a very easy to work with mix, in colors I like. No more, but certainly no less either 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:10 pm

Mike,

There is certainly no endorsement intended. I am pretty much a free spirit, and like to keep it that way.

I hear what you are saying, and can view it through your eyes and reach a similar conclusion. In truth, though, I simply list the materials I use in the patterns I publish. I will answer specific questions on where I obtained material if possible, just as you have done and do on a regular basis.

I am not familiar with any commercial outlet which distributes equivalent quality hare dubbing, at a lower price, but if I were that outlet would be provided should specific questions come my way.

I may be Swiss by nationality, but when it comes to sourcing my materials I am very much 'agnostic' 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:25 pm

Mike,
Hans, this is in no way an attack on you personally, or on your integrity, or has anything to do with your nationality.
*chuckle* Nor did I perceive it as such 8-)
I am merely providing information on it. What people do with that information is their own affair.
Amen to that also.

Cheers,
Hans W