March Brown Twists 1550's

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

March Brown Twists 1550's

Post by William Anderson » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:50 pm

The recent March Brown Nymphs shown in the swap put me right back in familiar territory with the herl/thread twisted bodies and I couldn't help but fool around with these and adding more than a few to my box. These are tied in two sets; one with four pheasant tail fibers and one length of Dekron (a synthetic silk sub that peaked my interest) and the other set using the four pheasant tail fibers and two lengths of Dekron twisted with the fibers for the body. The twist on these sets is more rope-like than other sets that I like for this body construction, but I'm not unhappy with the results. Variety.

Hook: Daiichi 1550 #14
Thread: Sheer 14/0 brown
Hackle: Dyed Whiting Brahma Hen
Body: Four pheasant tail fibers twisted with one or two lengths of orange Dekron

MB Twist with one length of thread added:

MB Twist with two lengths of thread added:

Red Grouse and Dekron, to illustrate the color of the thread material. It's near the diameter of buttonhole twist and turns rusty orange when wet.

Still working out the bugs with the images. I've lost my way and I'm not happy, but these are clear enough for material illustration. I'll keep working on it.

This pattern (or a slight variation of it) is one of my go to patterns for lots of presentations and conditions. It easily covers a number of our Eastern hatches for the nymph emerging phase and a few caddis as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the MB Nymph patterns from the swap and would love to see anyone else's similar body construction if you care to share. I know I have several variations as it's one of my favorite body constructions.

A minor point of interest. After neglecting the option of tying in the hackle by it's tip in a more traditional North Country way, I resorted to tying all the hackles of these sets in by the tips. No difference in the result, but it's a small monkey off my back. :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Re: March Brown Twists 1550's

Post by Old Hat » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:35 pm

I much prefer the one strand pattern and love the effect with the herl but one could not go wrong with any of the patterns. Gives a great segmented look and has a nice buggy profile. With all the hairs I would think it may make a nice stillwater pattern.

I used to tie in by the tip of the feather. Then I saw the light, and the truth was revealed. :D
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Great flies!! 8-)

Halleluiah! I saw the light as well but it must have been a different spectrum and I am now an inveterate tip tyer. ;) :D
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:29 pm

I must say, they are all lovely! But, the first one, is my favorite. Excellent work! I need to try this. :D
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:30 pm

I like each one of these, & each suggests a specific insect to me, while simulating a lot of others. Great, simple method for obtaining nuanced coloration without overdressing (a personal problem you are helping me with). Must be trending the void, as I've been burning up hooks playing with twisted combinations as well lately (hoping for time to test them all). The possibilities spaghetti the mind.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:59 am

You are a fine tyer Mr. Anderson. I never get tired of seeing your patterns!
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:08 am

Those are nice flies Will, very nice. How on earth did you get the pheasant herl to sweep back like the way it does on the first pattern? :shock:
No doubt in my mind these will put fish in the net.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:31 am

Outstanding work, William. I am always impressed with the orderliness of your experimentation, and invariably delighted with the results. That "single strand" version could well serve as the basis for an SBS, not to mention a place in many flyboxes.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks everyone for the comments. Part of the reason for this approach's appeal to me is it adds that complexity of mottling in the body. I've take this road several times for both hatch specific and generally well coordinated generic patterns. Herl twisted with wire is always a good choice. Herl ribbed with wire or something else is also a perfect option and no doubt makes little difference, at least in my imagination, in their efficacy. Another appeal is the quick and simple method that leaves me feeling like I've achieved a productive fly with the easy and simplicity of a spider pattern.

This pattern uses two strands of grey goose breast feathers and two fibers from a dyed turkey flat, usually used for posts on parachute patterns, twisted with silk.

And this is an all time favorite using golden pheasant tail and silk twisted. Some of you have seen these before. But I was hoping others would post their own versions.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:15 pm

This is not a March Brown pattern but one that I use to use quite a bit. I called it the Light Rhea Dun. A PMD or PED pattern. But you still can see the mottled color combinations you talk about. Sorry for the picture quality, back in the days with my little point and shoot and less lighting skills. :roll:

Is uses honey dun hen for the tail and hackle. Primrose Pearsall's silk twisted with a couple Rhea herls for the body.

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com