Without The Ugly Vise

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: Without The Ugly Vise

Post by tie2fish » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:03 am

At the risk of being scoffed at, I must say that "clunky" or
"ugly" as it may be, I love my Regal.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:30 am

tie2fish wrote:At the risk of being scoffed at, I must say that "clunky" or
"ugly" as it may be, I love my Regal.
As do I . . . the best vise I've ever used. I bought mine in about 1977 at the suggestion of Gary LaFontaine, and finally got the jaws replaced about 2 months ago. My remark was because it didn't really do much for the picture. :D

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
BruceC

Post by BruceC » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi Eric,

Can you tell us a bit about that hook? With all the brands I have and use, I've never heard of that one and it looks like one I should know about!

Thanks,
Bruce C
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:45 pm

BruceC wrote:Hi Eric,

Can you tell us a bit about that hook? With all the brands I have and use, I've never heard of that one and it looks like one I should know about!

Thanks,
Bruce C
The Dohiku hooks are made in Slovakia. I became aware of them through a couple of contacts and kinda lucked into avery limited supply. You can find them by Googling "Dohiku fly hooks," but I'm not sure you'd get very far unless you were fluent in either French or Slovakian. In any case, my initial forays were not successful as shipping costs far outweighed the derived value. The Dohikus may (I hope) be generally available in the US very shortly, and should that come to pass, I will certainly share that info.

I really like them in Models 301 (dry, light wire) and 302 (same shape, heavier wire).

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich