Dark Spanish Needle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

PhilA

Dark Spanish Needle

Post by PhilA » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:28 pm

I've always liked the combination of peacock and orange silk. (Peacock and anything, for that matter.)

A Dark Spanish Needle pattern of John Swarbrick, Wharfedale Flies (ms. 1807, published 1907). Offered by Swarbrick as a small stonefly nymph.

Thread: Orange silk
Wing: Feather of a wood owl wing
Head: Peacock herl

Being permanently short of owl skins, I substituted English woodcock. The same basic fly is repeated many times in books after 1807 (sometimes with new names), but I've not found an earlier version. Anybody know of one?

This variation is tied with peacock as a thorax instead a head:

I like the look, and the tie is a bit less fussy. Anybody seen this pattern in the literature? I cannot find one.
Old Hat

Re: Dark Spanish Needle

Post by Old Hat » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:39 pm

Both are very nice. For ease of tying and assuming the fish won't mind much, I would go with the second. But the "old guys" say tie the peacock in front of the hackle. It's all good!
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:35 pm

This is great. I was just looking at the Swarbrick patterns this afternoon in an early Fogg book. These are great and I agree with the peacock = magic approach. Beautiful sub feather.

I was wondering what makes this Spanish. Doesn't matter but the question occurred to me. Thanks for saying this one.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:27 pm

Both great looking ties!! 8-)
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:13 am

William Anderson wrote:I was wondering what makes this Spanish. Doesn't matter but the question occurred to me. Thanks for saying this one.
William,
The Dark Spanish Needle (known also as a Needle Brown and Dark Needle) imitates small dark stoneflies (genus Leuctra) of the North Country. "Needle" of the name refers to the long and strikingly thin body of Leuctra adults, which roll their wings tightly around the body when at rest. "Spanish" refers to the color of the adult wings, which are a dark steely blue similar to that of unpolished steel sewing needles. Such needles were imported by England from Spain in large numbers in the early 19th century, which is when John Swarbrick first gave the fly its name (Wharfedale Flies, 1807). --Phil
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:00 am

That is some fantastic info!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:33 am

Phil, that's something I either haven't heard before or more likely forgot, and I'll probably ask again sometime. :D
The needle reference has stuck with me for years and helps to keep a nice tight profile when tying imitations, but the Spanish needle color detail is interesting. I was hoping there would be a connection to a flamenco dancer. Thanks.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:59 am

Very good work!!
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:33 pm

An OLD Bohemian's version of the Dark Spanish Needle.
Attachments
T E Pritt's #22 - Dark Spanish Needle.JPG
T E Pritt's #22 - Dark Spanish Needle.JPG (236.71 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:05 am

William Anderson wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:35 pm This is great. I was just looking at the Swarbrick patterns this afternoon in an early Fogg book. These are great and I agree with the peacock = magic approach. Beautiful sub feather.

I was wondering what makes this Spanish. Doesn't matter but the question occurred to me. Thanks for saying this one.
William - I always wondered the same thing……” why a Spanish needle?“
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....